9 messages over 2 pages: 1
daristani
United States
Joined 6934 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 9 of 9
06 September 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I confess to being quite attached to the old "Teach Yourself Persian" by Mace for
absolute beginners, but that may be because of an emotional attachment, since that's
what I started out with. I think it gives the best introduction to the alphabet as
used in Persian, as it spreads it out over a number of lessons, but it's true the print
is quite small.

For anyone not already familiar with the alphabet who might be thinking of using this
book to learn from, I would note that the old hardcover edition, although with small
print, was pretty clear, but the paperback reprints were, to my mind, all a bit blurry.

As for another beginner's book, perhaps I'm showing my age once again, but there is one
older book that has larger print, especially in the initial lessons, and DOES show the
short vowels. It's "Elementary Persian Grammar", by L. P. Elwell-Sutton, published by
Cambridge University Press in 1963. It's pretty expensive to buy new, but since it's
been in print for so long, used copies are available at very reasonable prices.

If you look for it on Amazon, you can "look inside" it, and get a feel for it, and also
see a number of reviews, most of which seem to be fairly positive.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version