Portugal
Joined 6400 days ago

42 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
04 September 2012 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Tracing the Origins of Indo-European Languages

A new study suggests that the sprawling Indo-European family of languages originated in Anatolia, or modern-day Turkey.

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5564 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 3
04 September 2012 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
This topic has already been discussed and I think there were some excellent points
made on that
other
thread
. The article you reference provides a tree to look at
and I was struck by the Germanic and Romance branches of the tree (the only branches
were I have some [small] knowledge).

Let's take English, for example. Popular knowledge has English as most closely related
to Frisian, I'm not in any position to judge as I've never studied any Frisian nor
looked into it in too much detail. I am, however, fairly sure that English is supposed
to be more closely related to Dutch than to German and what little Dutch I have learned
confirmed this for me as it definitely felt even closer than German does. In contrast
the tree created by this study has English as an outlier among the West Germanic
languages, meaning that German and Dutch are equally close to English. For reasons like
that I'm
not sure how much trust I have in this tree!

I remember these computer generated trees from Uni (I studied Genetics) and though that
was 12 years ago now and my memory very, very hazy, I seem to remember that it was far
from an exact science and often generated initial results that were later changed. For
now I have more confidence in the historical linguists.

Edited by Random review on 04 September 2012 at 4:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Antimanner
Pentaglot
Denmark
Joined 5128 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Danish*, Latin, Sanskrit, English, Ancient Greek
Studies: French, Russian, Lithuanian

Message 3 of 3
22 September 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
You should read this long and highly technical article. It sums up why cladistics doesn't work in this context.

http://geocurrents.info/cultural-geography/linguistic-geogra phy/quentin-atkinsons-nonsensical-maps-of-indo-european-expa nsion

Edited by Antimanner on 22 September 2012 at 10:53am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version