kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4738 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
06 September 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I've just recently started studying French again after a long break. I just got back from a trip to Borneo where I met several French people. When they spoke in French, I could catch parts of it, but I've got a couple of questions about things I can't remember. I'm looking for what a French person would say in a casual situation (e.g. to friends or family). I'm not looking for textbook French, or something only for formal situations.

One of the women I met asked me the time in French and I remembered how to give the textbook response, but what are some common ways to say it in casual French.
So for example, in North American English, we'd usually say 10:15 as “(It's) ten-fifteen.” or “(It's) quarter past/after ten.”
For 6:30, we'd say “(It's) six-thirty.” or “(It's) half past six.”
And for 8:50, we say “(It's) eight-fifty.” or “(It's) ten to nine.”
How would they say these in casual French?

In English we use “How is/was _______?” to ask how someone likes/liked something. For example, “How's your spaghetti?” or “How was the movie?” Is there a comparable expression in French?

Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

Spiderkat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5593 days ago

175 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 2
06 September 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
It all depends on the context and whether it is in the morning or in the evening.
It's 10:15 will be "il est dix heures quinze" or "il est dix heures et quart" and/or "il est vingt-deux heures quinze".
It's 6:30 will be "il est six heures trente" or "il est six heures et demi" and/or "il est dix-huit heures trente".
It's 8:50 will be "il est huit heures cinquante" or "neuf heures moins dix" and/or "il est vingt heures cinquante"

As for the second question we use pretty much the same expression "Comment sont tes spaghettis ?" or "Comment était le film ?"

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version