Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Kugel
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
06 September 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
In SLA what is the official term for the methods that are shared between MT, Paul Noble, and Pimsleur? They are all audio, but what I'm looking for is the method that is systematic, almost like plowing through a basic Logic course, in that it prompts the reader with an English phrase, forcing the student to construct something using only the given parameters taught by the program. Here is an analogy (probably not a good one):

Typical Elementary Logic Course

1.(K&H) V (K&L)
2.-L
/H

3. K & (HVL) Dist
4. (HVL) & K Com
5. HVL simp
6. LVH com
7. H DS [from 2 and 6 DS)

There aren't as many steps in a simple prompt by MT, Pimsleur, and Noble. But has anyone worked out the rules from, say, a MT course?   

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 2
09 September 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
In SLA terms I think these courses would be classed as an audio only version of Grammar Translation.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version