Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 4245 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Japanese

Message 1 of 3
07 September 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys, i started studying Japanese like 5 days ago and i'm growing to love to learn it, i have learned hiragana and katakana and now i'm looking to start a textbook :)
Thing is, i live in Portugal and this country sucks for language learners, not because there aren't really many asian people, but because textbooks, dictionaries, forums on other languages are non-existent!

What can i do to actually get used to the language? Are there some kind of good forums to talk with japanese people? lol
Open to suggestions! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

urutu
Triglot
Indonesia
Joined 4239 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Javanese, Indonesian*, English
Studies: French

Message 2 of 3
09 September 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
if you just get started, keep reading , or do something same as your french done..reading is the foundation, my french is passive although it's done for 8 months already in reading, and now i wanna expand my vocabulary using anki.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5041 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 3
09 September 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I can't help you with Japanese chat rooms or language exchange sites. When you said you were having trouble finding a textbook in Portugal and I thought I would share with you what I've found with a Portuguese base. Have you tried Brazilian resources for Japanese. There's a lot of interest in Japanese in Brazil because of the large Japanese immigrant community there. When I was visiting São Paulo, I stayed in a Japanese hotel in Liberdade and met many Japanese-Brazilians.

I've been toying with the idea of learning Japanese- through Portuguese- and found several free and legal resources. Guia de estudo da língua japonesa e a vida cotidiana pdf is a free book for Portuguese-speaking immigrants from the Japan Agency for Cultural Affairs. Around page 104 you'll find information about learning Japanese with links.

NHK World Curso de Japonês Básico has a basic text book, hiragana and katakana instruction, 50 audio lessons and all are free to download in pdf and mp3 format. There's also from NHK O desafio de Erin- Curso de japonês multimidia online. You can download the audio but there is no textbook of which I am aware. In addition NHK World has the news in Japanese with transcript available. It really helped me with Portuguese.

The Metro Tokyo Government website has a pdf guide to basic Japanese geared for immigrant children in 22 languages, including Portuguese, here Metro Tokyo Multilingual pdfs index Metro Tokyo Japonês para crianças.

A Fundação Japão São Paulo has useful links. A Aliança Cultural Brasil - Japão has Novo curso básico de japonês. The textbook is in six volumes and can be found with a little bit of a google search. By the way, try searching with Google Brasil in Portuguese and more search results may come up for you. Japonês em quadrinhos- Marc Bernabé looks very interesting and fun! Boa sorte!

Edited by iguanamon on 09 September 2012 at 10:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version