United States
Joined 4259 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 7
08 September 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum,in fact it is my first time on any Language Forum.
I apologize if there are already hundreds of these topics floating around, but I am new
to browsing this forum and figured creating my own would be a good start.

I am starting Pimsleur Mandarin this weekend and was wondering if anyone had some tips
for supplemental exercises?

I plan on beginning with speech and eventually beginning writing when I feel more
comfortable. I also have a friend who will be studying concurrently and we are planning
on writing out a plan of attack so we can track our goals.

Right now I just wanted to know whether I should be doing anything else on top of my
Pimsleur exercises? Also if anyone has links to any blogs from individuals who began
using Pimsleur Mandarin and have become decently fluent that would be extremely
helpful.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 7
08 September 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I'd have a brief look at certain sounds that sound similar to English speakers (such as
"q" and "ch", or "x" and "sh" and learn to differentiate them
here, in order to ensure that you can
hear them when you start Pimsleur (which is all audio).
3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6942 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 7
08 September 2012 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I would do a search for "Chinese Companion l", which is a book-length guide to the first level of the Mandarin course, and includes transcripts, characters, etc., and can be downloaded at various places...

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 4 of 7
08 September 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Referring to people who started with Pimsleur Mandarin, take a look at irrationale's log on this forum. The FSI material he mentions is at
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Chinese .
I highly recommend looking at the Pronunciation and Romanization pieces very soon.

Good luck!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 7
08 September 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, @jraglin! I recommend a "multi-track" approach involving more than one resource. Pimsleur's primary focus is on audio. It's pluses are the "graduated interval recall system", where you are "forced" to come up with a response on previously covered material and the imitation of the native speakers. For a tonal language like Mandarin, I could see it as being useful in developing good speech habits. Downsides are: focus on business related vocabulary, use of English prompts, lack of a transcript and a limited number of words taught. If Pimsleur were your only resource this could be problematic.

You should find something that helps with reading, grammar and writing as well. A good combination is usually found with using something a little more in-depth like FSI Standard Chinese (Mandarin) Course or DLI Mandarin Basic Course. Both courses are free and legal to download- your US taxpayer's dollars at work! Either one would complement your studies with Pimsleur quite well.

Several people here on the forum have done what you are doing. In my opinion, the best way to search the forum is to use the "G search" feature. Here is the link to the results I got by typing Pimsleur Mandarin. Opinion is divided. Some people love it. Some are bored with it. Some are neutral. It can also be useful to search the logs of other learners here from the beginning. What works for someone else may not work for you and what someone else finds "boring" and tedious may be the just the thing for you. At the end of the day, you have to find what works best for you and only you will know that.

Best of luck!

Edited by iguanamon on 08 September 2012 at 2:12am

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 6 of 7
08 September 2012 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
I would do a search for "Chinese Companion l", which is a book-length
guide to the first level of the Mandarin course, and includes transcripts, characters,
etc., and can be downloaded at various places...

Thanks for this.

jraglin
United States
Joined 4259 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 7
08 September 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
I would do a search for "Chinese Companion l", which is a book-
length guide to the first level of the Mandarin course, and includes transcripts,
characters, etc., and can be downloaded at various places...

Wow thank you so much for this, I will be printing this out and keeping it by me. I
feel that writing out the Pinyin may become useful in remembering the pronunciation of
each word.

iguanamon wrote:
You should find something that helps with reading, grammar and writing
as well. A good combination is usually found with using something a little more in-
depth like FSI Standard Chinese (Mandarin) Course or DLI Mandarin Basic Course. Both
courses are free and legal to download- your US taxpayer's dollars at work! Either one
would complement your studies with Pimsleur quite well.

Thanks for these, has anyone else here had experience with FSI while using the Pimsleur
method? I have also read good things about Assimil.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version