Triglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
08 September 2012 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
I just stumbled on a nice little resource for us Romanian learners---TAROM (Romania's national airline) posts their magazine editions for free on their website. It's just that little typical airline magazine in the back of the seat that you can flip through. But every article they have is in Romanian and English, side-by-side. So if you like that kind of thing, it's a wonderful resource as it's modern, colloquial, well-written language. They produce a new issue every two months, and on their website they have an archive going back to 2005:

TAROM - Insight Magazine

Enjoy!

Edited by tennisfan on 08 September 2012 at 3:07am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
08 September 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Good idea! I have often used those bilingual airline magazines as a study resource, and mostly the translations are fairly parallel which is a condition for being of relevance - but I haven't thought of looking for them on the internet.
1 person has voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
08 September 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Yes... as I don't live in Romania, I don't get the chance to speak often, so most of my exposure to new vocabulary is through reading. But more than any other language I've studied, Romanian literature (even contemporary) is full of words that people don't often use in every-day conversation. The grammar is the same, but the vocabulary often is not. And there's really no way to know unless you say the word and someone looks at you weird and says "we don't say that, instead we say..."

But of course these kinds of magazines are different as they are more colloquial and digestible. And despite being made for airlines, they have all sorts of pieces, on travel, general lifestyle, health, technology, etc. With the English text right next to it!

It's a wonderful resource and will stop me from stealing the magazines from the planes now. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version