Diglot
United States
Joined 6550 days ago

35 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
14 July 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I have always noticed that native speakers of Spanish use the direct and indirect object pronouns inconsistently. For example, sometimes I hear le conozco, sometimes lo conozco, and so on. I was always confused because people would use le even when it was clearly a direct object. Recently I read there is a name for this, "Leismo," and that it's actually quite standard.

According to the Real Academia it's okay to use le as the direct object pronoun as long as what it refers to is singular, masculine, and animate.

So, you could say -le vi a tu hermano ayer- and it would be totally correct.

They also say that you can't use it in the plural or in the femimine.

So, these following examples would be mistakes:

-conoces a ella? Si le conozco- Yes, I know her.

-Les quiero tanto- I love you all so much.

-No les conozco- I don't know them.

Personally, I like the leismo in most cases. I think -mucho gusto en conocerle- sounds much nicer than the alternative. The le sounds more human to me. Also, using le is easier because you don't have to think about whether it's a direct or indirect object, which can be tricky.

I think with women I agree with the Academia. I think -la amo- (I love her) is preferable to -le amo-

I don't know about not doing it for plurals though. I think -los quiero mucho-(I love you all) sounds kind of impersonal, and I would probably say -les queiro- instead even though this would tecnically be wrong.

I am curious to know to what extent everyone else uses leismo.

1 person has voted this message useful

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6670 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 2 of 15
14 July 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Sirgregory: Something about this topic has been already discused in another thread, so maybe you should take a look here where there is some information about "leísmo".

In that thread Translator2 posted this link about the same topic: leísmo

Edited by Alfonso on 14 July 2006 at 4:13pm

sirgregory
Diglot
United States
Joined 6550 days ago

35 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 15
14 July 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
That link is pretty good, but I am more curious about the personal opinions of individual speakers rather than very general things like "in some parts you may hear this construction..." etc. I want to know which you consider more graceful, more educated, or whatever.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6703 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 15
15 July 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
sirgregory wrote:
... but I am more curious about the personal opinions of individual speakers ...

The personal preferences will probably go hand in hand with what particular variant of Spanish the person happens to confess to.

I use leismo myself because that is the way i learned it and it is fairly common here in Spain.

I am surprised though that you should think of it as being simpler. To me it is definitely an added complication.

Tadeo makes many good points there, on what it can sound like from his Mexican perspective. On the other side of the coin, being used to leismo, it can sound strange to hear "lo conozco" about a person - a little like that person being talked about as an object.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucia
Diglot
Spain
Joined 6629 days ago

146 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 15
16 July 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
     I use leismo too.What the R.A.E. considers leismo today may be proper Spanish tomorrow if enough Spaniards use it during a long period of time.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6912 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 7 of 15
17 July 2006 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
sirgregory wrote:
Also, using le is easier because you don't have to think about whether it's a direct or indirect object, which can be tricky.

Personally, I agree with Henrik that this is, in fact, an added complication because from the perspective of being a learner of Spanish, it obscures whether the object is indirect or direct.

As an example, when presentar is used by a leísmo speaker, I find myself having to think carefully about who is being "presented" to whom.

Andy.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6703 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 15
17 July 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
... it obscures whether the object is indirect or direct.

True, and the trouble it possibly saves you by not having to think about direct or indirect is very marginal indeed, since you still have to master that side of things for all non-personal masculine, and all feminine cases.

Edited by Hencke on 17 July 2006 at 6:53pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version