United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 9
10 September 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
@Frankeld and others:

I've been reading up a bit more about watermarking, and on the face of it, it is
the acceptable face of protection of authors and publisher's rights. (Not 100% sure
where e-booksellers really fit into the picture to be honest).

It appears to offer the legitimate book buyer or owner freedom to use his or her e-book
wherever and however they wish.

So far, so good.

But what if he or she wants to give it away (and let's say, securely erases all copies
other than the given away copy)?

That's equivalent to giving away a printed book that you own. The watermark is roughly
the same as having your name written in the front, except that with a watermark, you
don't know exactly what's in it and where, so it's more like having your name written
on every page, so even if the person you give it to rips out the title page, anyone
that person gives (or sells) it to will still know it came from you.

But it's not quite the same of course, as you can only realistically give away a
printed book once. (You could have photocopied it, or scanned it, but this is not a
realistic option in most cases), whereas you could, nefariously, give away an e-book an
unlimited number of times, i.e. by pirating it.

So on the face of it, watermarking is perfectly safe. It doesn't unduly restrict the
legitimate user, but it makes piracy detectable, provided the watermark is
sophisticated enough.

However, it seems that watermarks are coming on. Look at this:

http://www.genlore.com/eBook/ePub/Watermark.html

Most of it seems ok, but then we have:
Quote:

Usage can be monitored – depends on the eBook content and format

hmmm.....don't really like the sound of that, but it would depend upon exactly what it
means.

I think anyone who is planning on giving away (I don't mean pirating) a watermarked e-
book would be advised to be extremely careful about who they give it to.

Edited by montmorency on 10 September 2012 at 5:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version