Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 25 of 31
01 December 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
It's difficult to beat the feeling of an interpretation assignment well done. Of course,
it can also be stressful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 31
01 December 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Share your doubts, and I'll try to convince you it is not all that bad :)
Well, I just think this requires way too much mother tongue usage. And way too much use of your Strongest Foreign Language (which for me would be English and Finnish).
Nah, I prefer my spam analysis job :P
1 person has voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6235 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 27 of 31
02 December 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
@bela_lugosi: just wondering, is it common for Finnish interpreters to work into
Finnish only? From what I've heard, the Finnish booth in the EU still provides often
interpreting from Finnish, as there aren't enough interpreters with Finnish B/C. What
is the situation on the Finnish market like?

I believe it is more common to work into both Finnish and English. That is only because there aren't enough interpreters with Finnish B/C, as you said. I don't know about the situation at EU conferences but I assume in the Finnish booth there are only interpreters who are able to work both ways. I've heard of only 2-3 non-native speakers who interpret from Finnish into other languages at conferences.

Working into one's B language can be demanding but certainly not impossible. I'm going to do it again next week. :D

Edited by bela_lugosi on 02 December 2012 at 1:02am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6684 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 28 of 31
02 December 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I talked once to a Finnish interpreter, working freelance for the EU. With an ACC
combination she had quite many EU assignments, so I guess not all 3 interpreters working
together in the Finnish booth need a retour.

In Poland, there is simply no way to work one-way only; I don't know anyone who does that
(and that's why I was so interested in how Finnish interpreters deal with it :)).
Actually, my language combination is also ABB. I would like to add retour in the EU but
I'm afraid it's a pipe dream, considering how high the standards are.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4990 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 31
02 December 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
... I guess not all 3 interpreters working together in the Finnish booth need a retour.

... I would like to add retour in the EU but I'm afraid it's a pipe dream, considering how high the standards are.

For anyone else who, like me, wasn't familiar with the terminology: "What is Retour?", from the EU's Interpretation
Directorates-General site. (Copy and paste, removing any extra spaces inserted by the forum software.)

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/scic/what-is-conference-interpreting /retour/index_en.htm

Edited by songlines on 02 December 2012 at 2:36am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6684 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 30 of 31
02 December 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting the link, I should have provided definitions :)

Some other interesting websites about interpreting:

http://interpreters.free.fr
http://aiic.net
http://www.facebook.com/interpretingforeurope

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6235 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 31 of 31
03 December 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
In Poland, there is simply no way to work one-way only; I don't know anyone who does that
(and that's why I was so interested in how Finnish interpreters deal with it :)).

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much the standard with less commonly known languages. I'm surprised to hear that a Finnish interpreter can work for the EU with an ACC combination. I would have assumed that they needed someone with at least one B language for retour because it's not like Finnish interpreters are that many...

Retour as such is an interesting phenomenon because it sounds more difficult than it actually is. At least in my opinion it can often be easier to just concentrate on formulating what comes out of your mouth than to make an effort to try and understand every single word you hear and only after that start rendering it in another language.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version