Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 4
11 September 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
In written French, the past participle has to agree in gender and number, under a number of different circumstances. The most common of these is when the verb être is used. E.g.

Elle est allée - She went.

This rule also applies when the direct object pronoun is used with avoir or the noun precedes it. E.g.

La musique que j'ai apprise - The music that I learned.

However, according to Bescherelle La Grammaire Pour Tous, this distinction isn't always made in the spoken language. A French speaker might say, "La musique que j'ai appris". Are there any rules or guidelines regarding the spoken language and past participle agreement ?

Edited by DaraghM on 11 September 2012 at 10:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 4
11 September 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know, nope. French speakers can just get lazy with this stuff and it's not
like dropping the -uh at the end of appris impedes comprehension.

The same way I hear Dutch speakers say "als" instead of "dan" or dit/dat instead of
die/deze (or vice versa), making genders disagree.

Edited by tarvos on 11 September 2012 at 12:45pm

Spiderkat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5594 days ago

175 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 4
11 September 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
The same rules apply whether it is spoken or writen but some speakers still don't seem to understand why such grammar rules exist or how they work and also some speakers for whatever reason simply don't bother whether they speak or write correctly since they'll be understood anyway.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 4
11 September 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I haven't spent any time tracking what people say, but I would venture that native speakers probably omit it more than 50% of the time with avoir, but probably get it right a lot more often with être, as it tends to work like adjective agreement.

Personally, I suppose I don't usually do it in informal speech, but I can do it in more formal situations. Then again, I'm a translator, so I pay attention to this in writing all the time.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version