United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5902 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 1 of 4
12 September 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
http://southernnationalist.com/blog/2011/06/06/reflexive-dat ives-in-southern-english/

I recently read this interesting article about how the use of the reflexive dative in Southern American English is a conservative feature common to other Germanic languages.

For Example:

He caught him some fish for dinner.
I caught me some fish...

Is this really the normal way to say this in other Germanic languages? How would you say the above sentence in dutch/swed/dan/nor/old Eng/Icelandic? Does anybody know?

Edited by tritone on 12 September 2012 at 12:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 4
12 September 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
German does this sometimes.

Ich kaufe mir einen Mantel - I'm buying (me) a coat.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
12 September 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
"Jeg gik mig en tur" in Danish --> hyperliteral translation: 'I walked me a tour' (I went for a walk)

And the oldest Danish song text from around 1300: "Drømde mik en drøm i nat um: silki ok ærlik pæl" in Middle Danish --> 'Dreamt me a dream on night (=this last night) about silk and honest 'pæl'*" (there are wild discussions about the meaning of the word "pæl", but it seems to mean something like 'measure')

The lack of a formal subject in this last example puts it in the same category as German examples like "Mir ist kalt" (with 'mir' in the Dative). In sentences with an explicit subject the 'interested witness' in the dative (or accusative) may be the same one who does the action, and sometimes you may then have a feeling that the same entity is present both as a 'doer' and a 'witness' - which could be seen as a somewhat schizophrenic situation.

On the other hand the inbuilt object in a reflexive construction would typically be a true (logical) object. In English and other Germanic languages it is not really correct to speak of unstressed pronouns because they aren't really unstressed, whereas they are a clearly marked category in for instance the Romance languages. So it isn't a big deal to add a 'witness ' or 'recipient', and because English hasn't got a dative the accusative form will be used. However the question is then whether the reflexive forms with -self should be used when the 'witness/recipient' also is the 'doer', and it may be a dialectal feature whether the 'clean' forms are retained in this situation, ie. whether the forms with -self are seens as facultative.

Edited by Iversen on 12 September 2012 at 11:47am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5235 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 4
15 September 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
German does this sometimes.

Ich kaufe mir einen Mantel - I'm buying (me) a coat.

Norwegian too: Jeg kjøper meg en jakke.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version