Joined 4596 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 9 of 17
12 September 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
Some people can study a language for years, and even learn how to read
it well, without
learning to speak very well. For a learner like this, leaving out options like "move
to
the country" or "get a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse who speaks the language", what is
the
best way to break into speaking?

Courses such as Michel Thomas and Pimsleur (or Synergy or LSLC for Spanish) have been
described as "quick ways to get started speaking." Would these, or other courses you
know of, be to help "passive skill intermediate/active skill beginner" learner break
into
intermediate speech.

steve

I am afraid one cannot learn to speak a language without really practicing it. You can
learn to speak to a certain level from a textbook or a course. Here you can learn
conversation phrases. I believe a textbook or course learning provides you with
something you would not learn in other way. You can read a number of texts in the
foreign language and listen to a lot of news broadcast etc. But here you will never or
seldom hear some conversational phrases you hear in certain situation. These book and
courses may be good and from these materials you can get some conversational skills.
But without real conversation you will never cross certain level. You will speak like a
person who learned speaking in this way and has never experienced real conversation (or
in an insignificant amount). In an indirect way listening a lot and reading can also
improve your speaking. But there is a level you can never cross without speaking in
real situation with native speakers.
1 person has voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4596 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 10 of 17
12 September 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
The best way to learn a language is to live in a country where the language is spoken.
The problem is you can be in some situation required to know the language before. For
instance, you want to work there and you will not get the jobs without a very good
knowledge of the language. In such a situation it would be best to learn the language –
most of the job can be done without a teacher. I thing at the exam your grammar
knowledge will be tested and I really do not need a teacher for grammar drills. And to
guess whether I can pass the exam after only self-teaching or whether I should take
part in a conversational course (when I do not have native speakers willing to speak
with me).

It would be better to learn the conversation in the country where it is spoken. I would
learn the language without a teacher and then I would attend a 3 months conversational
course in my own country. And then I would take a conversational course in the country
where the language is spoken. Again I would do this if I had to know the language
before I can work there.

More natural would be to learn the language solely by self-teaching. And then I would
live in the country, where I would learn mainly by using the language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 17
13 September 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
In a couple of weeks I have to figure out what to do after Assimil, and I'm just not sure... I have a few audiobooks, and I would really enjoy heading off into native materials, but d**n it, I need to learn to talk better
Destinos would be a great introduction to native materials!!! Also, as you do more listening, chances are your speaking will improve too. (how is your writing btw?)

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4456 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 17
13 September 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
The best what works for me, as a self-learner, is to learn the very basic phrases so that I could rattle them out in my sleep. These are such as you would use very often and it is a good idea to have them as "resting points" in conversations - where you don't have to think about it, where the words come naturally.

Next step is to go through different scenarios - simple conversations where I talk to myself. It is important to imagine the real situation. Here, I don't learn a sentence verbatim, but I make sure that I could cover the basics (for example buy a bread, order a meal in restaurant, order a beer in a pub, introduce myself, ask the way, ...). Again, I start with very basic sentences and with time I expand what I am able to say. There is a finite number of situations we need to master in the beginning and we should make our own list and not take one from a book.

Next step is to train myself to adjust the spoken language to my current active level (usually, I can understand quite a lot. I can write much less and speak even less). The problem is that we are used to certain way of formulating in our native language or in our strong languages. A weak language needs adjusting - simple sentences, simple grammar, no frills.

And then, I am learning how to trick the native speaker so that he/she talks more and I can listen. I learn how to bait them with questions, so that I have again time to rest myself slightly in middle of conversation. And I learn to derail the conversation, switch to another subject if necessary.

These are the tricks I am using before I meet the first native speaker. When I really start conversation, I am fairly sure I won't freeze, I won't find myself completely speechless or in need to switch into one of my stronger languages. At the same time, I accept that I won't be able to discuss complicated or unfamiliar subject.

For me, building such bag of tricks works better then looking for a ready-made course. And I am constantly checking and tweaking the level of my written and spoken language for each of my languages - nothing is worse than to add to my frustration because I try to talk in my A2 language the same way as in my native one. It simply cannot happen, I don't have the same big vocabulary and an equal good grammar sense. But I may be able to talk like a know-it-all six year old :)

Edited by Majka on 13 September 2012 at 9:19am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 17
13 September 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Shekhtman's book teaches you tricks like this :))))

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 14 of 17
13 September 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
hr henry wrote:

Hopefully you won't let a bad day or two dissuade you from further practice.

Have you considered trying something like busuu.com or livemocha.com? In addition to
the lessons, they both have chat and live video/audio features. If you're feeling like
you're grasping too much for words, start with text chat. It's still real time, but you have a bit more time to formulate your responses. And I'm willing to bet it'll give you a bit of a confidence boost, too.

sfuqua wrote:
I'm really, really tired of waiting for more speaking
skills to "emerge" out of my steadily increasing passive skills from Assimil.

I agree with @hr henry. If you don't want to try a private tutor, then breaking in at an anonymous level with text chat could help give you the confidence you need to start speaking. If you don't think you are ready for that just yet, do try writing on lang8 on an easy topic- even just a paragraph to get you started.

I have good days and bad days with the language- I think we all do. I don't let it keep me down for long. You know this stuff, Steve. I believe that. Yes, it is a good idea to get going with native materials. You can only do so much Assimil. Too much "studying" tends to make folks good at- studying. The Scheckman book How To Improve Your Foreign Language is a good idea- developing "islands" of topics you can rely on in conversation can go a long way toward building your confidence. Then you can build on that foundation.

The main thing to know is that you will forget words, screw up syntax and grammar, mess up noun gender and adjectives and use the wrong tense on occasion. That's ok and normal. You're still learning. That's why I suggested a tutor. They've seen it all before and know and understand that learners are far from perfect.

Whatever the case, know that we have all been there before and that you can and will get to where you want to be- as long as you don't give up.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 September 2012 at 5:12pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 15 of 17
13 September 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Sharedtalk also has voice chat and finding partners to talk to on Skype can be a big help, too. I always felt uncomfortable speaking Spanish until i finally immersed myself in it.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5468 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 17
13 September 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Shekhtman's book teaches you tricks like this :))))

Here is a thread which discusses learning to speak a language, and also has a couple of posts by me on Shekhtman's book.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version