Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 23
01 October 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
When I make wordlists I only fold the paper once, and then I draw lines to separate the columns - though not the columns with target, basic and target language because they are nicely separated through the use of different colours. And when I believe I have finished a sheet I put in in a pile that just grows and grows. When it reaches the shelf above or tumbles over I'll throw it in the recycle container for paper which stands right outside my residence. And then my conscience is satisfied - I don't need to eat the paper and/or convert it into compost.

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 23
02 October 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Talking about strange language products...

The other day, I got a combined package of textbook/grammar/dictionaries/etc. An Amazon review called it something like "the worst course ever encountered", mainly due to its so-called focus on the cloze method (and possibly, "lack of grammar explanations"). So far I've enjoyed every single minute I've spent with the course. Pure target language audio (AND text), no dumbed-down dialogues. Exactly what I'm after.

Just saying that people can have different opinions about language products.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 08 October 2012 at 9:14am

5 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 19 of 23
02 October 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I always thought Earworms was a little weird. I wouldn't be surprised if it works well as a way to teach basic greetings and a few other simple phrases, but I'd rather just listen to, and sing along with, music sung in one of the languages I'm learning.

Edited by mick33 on 02 October 2012 at 1:08am

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4894 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 20 of 23
08 October 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
The other day, I got a combined package of textbook/grammar/dictionaries/etc. An Amazon review called it something like "the worst course ever encountered", mainly due to its so-called focus on the cloze method (and possibly, "lack of grammar explanations"). So far I've enjoyed every single minute I've spent with the course. Pure target language audio (AND text), no dumbed-down dialogues. Exactly what I'm after.

Just out of curiosity, what was this product? It wasn't a Cortina pack was it? I know they come with several books, audio, dictionary, etc. I've never bought one of their packs. I'm curious to try one, but the price tag is hefty, so I'm not sure. Was yours this, or something different?

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4894 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 21 of 23
08 October 2012 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Oh, and strange language learning products...

I once bought a textbook called 'Practical Rhythmic Chinese.' It came with a CD, and taught Chinese through funky chant-like verses. I bought it for the novelty, but that wore off quickly. I can't recommend this product.

And looking back, I'm not sure why it's called 'practical' and 'rhythmic.' A good, 'practical' book if your aim is to become a mandarin beatnik. :P

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 23
08 October 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
pfn123 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what was this product? It wasn't a Cortina pack was it? I know they come with several books, audio, dictionary, etc. I've never bought one of their packs. I'm curious to try one, but the price tag is hefty, so I'm not sure. Was yours this, or something different?

I got the Nederlands for buitenlanders second-hand (textbook, two CDs with audio, plus a CD-rom I haven't yet had a look at).

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4894 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 23 of 23
09 October 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
pfn123 wrote:

I got the Nederlands for buitenlanders second-hand (textbook, two CDs with audio, plus a CD-rom I haven't yet had a look at).

Ah, understood. Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the course. It sounds good :D

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version