2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 20
16 September 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Languageguy wrote:
As for Assimil, I have it in book format, but I have found out
learning on computer is more immersive, but maybe it's just me.

As a community, HTLAL doesn't evaluate language products by how "immersive" they are,
or whether they use a computer. We rely on trusted community members who've
successfully used a given course, where "successfully" means they've actually learned
to speak the language.

Once upon a time, Assimil was unpopular at HTLAL. Our forum administrator was a fan of
Pimsleur, and he was extremely skeptical that Assimil had anything to offer. But
one day, Alexander Arguelles—who's solidly conversational in about 20 languages—wrote a
long post about how he used Assimil successfully. Luca Lampariello, another polyglot,
said some nice things as well. So people started trying Assimil. And it worked.

Every few weeks, somebody starts a Language Log on HTLAL using Assimil. And if they
actually do one lesson a day, I generally expect them to reach A2 in about 6 months,
which means they can carry on useful conversations and read the newspaper with the
dictionary.

Now, Assimil isn't for everybody. Lots of people around here use FSI, Michel Thomas,
Pimsleur, Listening/Reading, the sentences method and certain Teach Yourself courses.
All of these work, though a few don't take you far enough on their own.

Which brings us to Rosetta Stone.

I've never met anybody who learned to speak a language using Rosetta Stone. I
have a family member and neighbor who've tried it and failed. There was a former
employee of Rosetta Stone who briefly kept a log here, but he never demonstrated any
actual competence in the languages he claimed to have learned. And I once heard second-
hand from the owner of Schoenhof's that he knew a few people who've succeeded.
But really, successful Rosetta Stone students seem to be about as rare as UFO
sightings.

Seriously, if Rosetta Stone wants us to believe in their courses, all they need to do
is produce credible results.
11 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 20
16 September 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Languageguy wrote:
It seems there is some misunderstanding going on here. I'm neither a spammer nor RS
agent, I just wanted some genuine advice as I don't know many other language learning
programs besides those two.
Maybe my post seemed blunt, but it wasn't my intention, just wanted to know which one is
better, and maybe find a alternative.
As for Assimil, I have it in book format, but I have found out learning on computer is
more immersive, but maybe it's just me.
How did you get it? Was it easy? Are there enough Croatians willing to learn German via English?

Makes me wonder whether that guy I've already mentioned now studies Spanish via Croatian or English...
1 person has voted this message useful

Languageguy
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4299 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 20
16 September 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so I guess Assimil is a good method, maybe I should try it. I have it in book
format, but without audio, text only.
As for RS, I tested it and while I like the basic idea I think the program is not
something that will get me far, so while I may use it occasionaly, I would prefer
something that is tested.
I don't know what you think of Pimsleur, is it as good as Assimil or inferior?

"How did you get it? Was it easy? Are there enough Croatians willing to learn German
via English?"

I got it as a present from my uncle, language enthusiast. Except for him, no, I don't
know many Croatians willing to learn German, via English or not.
As a Russian speaker, maybe you know how long it takes for another Slavic language
speaker to learn Russian?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 20
16 September 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
It's not allowed to post links but you can find Assimil audio online;) It has a very high quality.

As for Russian, well, it depends on what you want to do with it. I learned Polish to a good level in a few months, but I'm definitely not fluent. And I think Russian and Croatian are closer than Russian and Polish. Anyway, passive fluency will be easy but speaking a related language without using words from your native one is much harder. Often I'm not even sure whether it's the same word or I'm using a Russian one XD :/

If you know any Russians, you'll pick up a lot by just hanging out with them:)

My experience with Pimsleur is limited to 10 lessons of Romanian and I agree with everyone that it's good for the pronunciation.. (though as a Russian I had no problems with the famous â/î sound;)))...but it's very slow:( I think RS is also slow though. Assimil takes you muuuuch further.

But really? I thought German was a popular language in Croatia because Austria and Switzerland aren't very far and there are a lot of tourists etc...

Languageguy
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4299 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 20
16 September 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's not allowed to post links but you can find Assimil audio online;) It has a very high quality.

As for Russian, well, it depends on what you want to do with it. I learned Polish to a good level in a few months, but I'm definitely not fluent. And I think Russian and Croatian are closer than Russian and Polish. Anyway, passive fluency will be easy but speaking a related language without using words from your native one is much harder. Often I'm not even sure whether it's the same word or I'm using a Russian one XD :/

If you know any Russians, you'll pick up a lot by just hanging out with them:)

My experience with Pimsleur is limited to 10 lessons of Romanian and I agree with everyone that it's good for the pronunciation.. (though as a Russian I had no problems with the famous â/î sound;)))...but it's very slow:( I think RS is also slow though. Assimil takes you muuuuch further.

But really? I thought German was a popular language in Croatia because Austria and Switzerland aren't very far and there are a lot of tourists etc...

Thanks, I'll try it, I'm aware they have many languages in offer, but unfortunately majority of them are avaliable only in French, and I don't speak any French:)

As for German, we have it in school and most people know a few phrases, but it's not really too popular, at least not where I live. English is much better known.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 20
16 September 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
The Assimil audio is only in your target language anyway.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 20
17 September 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
No method is good for everyone, that's like assuming all people have the same favourite
meal.

Pimsleur is usually considered good for teaching you the base and teaching you to speak
right away. I have tried it and it wasn't a suitable entrance to the language for me (I
need the visual contact with the language as well), but many people claim it to be the
best start.

Assimil is really good. It is as well a good complement to other things because you
rarely find another such great source of beginner listening and reading material. Of
course,some Assimils are better, some are worse. I like the German one but it is said
the older version was better. I have both in my computer and will get to the old one
later :-)

FSI is great but it is boring for most people. The drill exercises really work. And it
is free. Just don't use it as your single resource because there were major ortograph
chenges happening in German since FSI course was published.

RS won't take you far by itself but some people use it at least to learn some
vocabulary. Other nice (and free and absolutely awesome) tools are Anki or Memrise
which are basically digital flashcards.

Don't underestimate classical courses. Teach Yourself and Colloquial are most well
known among the English speaking learners but there are many such in English or other
languages. I have found wonderful Czech based ones so I guess there should be some
Croatian ones (both our languages are similarly small and unimportant while German has
been quite a popular language in both countries).

Immersion and computer based course are two different things which may or may not come
together. Reading books/internet articles/news, listening to music/audiobooks/radio or
watching movies/tv series in the language, that is a real immersion. And later, if you
can afford it, there is no better immersion than to go in the country. But a lot of
immersion can be achieved at home. For inspiration, find a website all japanese all the
time.

I have been learning German for a few months now, it is my fourth foreign language. My
recommendations:

1.Get a good classical course with audio and/or Assimil. A good classical course
explains grammar, gives examples and vocabulary, has got audio and doesn't give stupid
unrealistic promises like "get fluent in a month". The Pimsleur is a great thing as
well to help you in the beginnings.

2.To get some listening material, go to the site Deutsche Welle and try their courses.
They are really good, much better than similar material for other languages I have
searched.

3.As soon as possible, start reading. At first graded readers or comic books or easy
articles on the internet, and go progressively to more difficult things. Don't be
afraid to leave the "I, as a beginner, should read" area and go to things you like. You
have the internet, so it is not a trouble to read about mocycles, gardening, 18th
century history or anything else you are interested in :-)

4.After you have got some of the basics, watch tv or movies in German. Firstly even
with Croatian subtitles, later with German ones, and one day in future without
subtitles. It helps a lot.

5.Pay attention to good pronunciation right from the beginning. Don't feel stupid to
repeat aloud after the audio or to Shadow (more on Shadowing on the forums). Listening
a lot helps with the pronunciation as well. Your Pimsleur should be a help here as
well.

6.Think in the language or speak to yourself. Even a few words coming to your mind here
and there are good in the beginning.

7.To get written things corrected, you can try for exemple italki.com

8.Try to get a language partner for exchange. That may be quite tricky because there
are much fewer German learning small languages like Czech or Croatian than Germans
learning English. Don't worry about that in the beginnings, such things get to solve
themselves occassionally.

9.Don't be afraid to use monolingual sources. There are really nice grammars,
vocabularies and exercise books meant for learners and many of them are suitable for a
beginner as well. Too bad most of learners with few ressources in their native language
look automatically for English based things without even considering this option.

10.Don't underestimate the grammar and vocabulary. These days, the main stream says
"Grammar and vocabulary are not all the language, learn in a modern way". Sure, you
need other things as well, but grammar and vocab are often the weak point which doesn't
let you get your skills to higher level.

11.The most important thing: Have fun. If you are bored for longer time, you will
probably quit. Don't let it happen.

12.A good thing is to keep a log. You'll have a place to put your progress and notes
about your work, you'll have somewhere to look and see how much you have already done
and it is a place where others won't hesitate to support you with their advice and
encouragement.

I hope my long post didn't scare you :-) Welcome to the forums, good luck with your
German and have fun. If you have any questions, feel free to ask (and use the search
function in the forum). And forgive us being a bit mistrustful. :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 17 September 2012 at 11:49am

10 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 16 of 20
17 September 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
One thing I found about Pimsleur German (which I did as a complete beginner) is that
unless one has very good ears (which I don't) or already understand the German case
system (which I didn't) the accusative and dative distinctions (e.g. den/dem) can get
easily 'lost in the ear' in Pimsleur's inference-based audio only approach.

This may not be a problem to a native speaker of Croatian (as it normally is to
an English speaker) but with hindsight I should have done Pimsleur after encountering
these grammatical forms in writing first (as it happens Assimil's old German Without
Toil drills this feature to death in the second quarter of the book).

Edited by Elexi on 17 September 2012 at 1:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version