Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5713 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Latin

Message 1 of 6
15 September 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
My 11 year old son wants to learn Greek. He has already learned the alphabet. He leans
toward wanting to learn Modern Greek, but there are numerous materials out there for kids
to study Koine Greek. ( I can list examples if anyone is interested). Modern Greek? Not
so much. He is almost mature enough to use a regular adult program, but often the
dialogue topics are just not that engaging for kids.

The only thing that I have found interesting for a kid for Modern Greek is Greek 123.
http://learn-greek.com/ And I am not "wowed" by what
I can see online. It seems light on the grammar.

If he learned Koine Greek, how difficult would it be for him to move later to modern
Greek?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5065 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 6
16 September 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Language Transfer Project has an audio course for Greek: Language Transfer Greek Free Download

Greek by Radio has free audio but the course book must be purchased, I think it runs about $20. Greek by Radio Improved Audio Youtube

The Defense Language Institute DLI Greek Basic Course is free to download.

You'll have to be the judge on whether or not any of these links will help. They're probably too adult for your son but they're all free so no harm in trying.

I also found Greek 4 Kids which might help.

Edited by iguanamon on 16 September 2012 at 2:02am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5713 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Latin

Message 3 of 6
16 September 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the resources. It is difficult to find the right resources. Most are either too babyish or too adult. I don't think there are too many people here trying to help kids teach themselves a language...so I won't babble on too much about my relatively unique situation.

If someone wanted to learn both modern and Koine Greek, would it be easier to begin with Koine? Or the other way around? Or perhaps it doesn't matter?

The preview pdf of Song School Greek, emphasizes pronunciation differences. I think he could handle that well enough. Grammar is a different issue.

This discussion makes me think that once you had a good grasp on modern Greek, it would be a bit of a challenge to move from modern to Koine, but perhaps no more difficult than it is for a native English speaking student to begin to tackle Shakespeare or Milton. (But I readily admit that I REALLY don't know what I am talking about. I am guessing!)

Edited by Jaynie on 16 September 2012 at 12:35pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4510 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 6
16 September 2012 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Have him learn Modern Greek, he can speak that with people.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5163 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 6 of 6
24 September 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Get your son the Michel Thomas Greek course. I think that MT is the perfect place to start learning a language (assuming they have a course for your target language). I've gone through the Greek course and it's absolutely wonderful. And it's Modern Greek, so that covers your requirement. It's not going to make him fluent or anything, but that's not really the point of the course---it's just to get you using the language and understanding the structure of it. Once you have that down you can fill in the vocabulary on your own and go on to other more advanced and denser courses. I don't know how diligent he wants to be with Greek, but if he doesn't want to spend an hour studying out of a book, then it's perfect as the MT course is 95% audio only. He can pop it on his iPod or computer or whatever and just do a couple of tracks a day. In a week he'll be saying things like "The park isn't far, but I suppose I'll take the metro since it's closer," and "I don't understand why you didn't simply wait for me." In fact, if the two of you went through the course together, it would be even more fun, I think. I pretty much swear by MT courses. I'd get it if I were you and try it out with him.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version