Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4715 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 4
17 September 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, RIght now I am learning French, I would say I am probably at a B1 level overall.

I have always had a fascination for Haitian creole. The fact that it's probably the 4th most spoken language in my
town behind English Spanish and Mandarin, makes me want to learn it and the fact that I have never even heard of
non-haitian trying to learn it.

I was wondering if anyone knew just how different it was from standard French, and if knowing French to a high
level (which hopefully I soon will!) would give me a strong carry over with Creole.

Also! Does anyone know any resources that one could use to learn it!? It can be in any of the languages on my list to
the left!
1 person has voted this message useful

drp9341
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4715 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 4
17 September 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
So I found this

http://www.amazon.com/Creole-Methode-quotidienne-Assimil-Edi tion/dp/2700501608/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1347854690&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=assimil+haitian +creole

Does anyone know if this creole is different from Haitian creole? It probably is but I am very ignorant with these
things :P

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5065 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 4
17 September 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Oddly enough,, although maybe not so oddly being since it is a French Overseas Department, this Assimil course, Le Créole sans peine, is for Guadeloupe Creole. The island of Guadeloupe, though also in the Caribbean, is hundreds of miles away from Haiti. It's creole, while similar, has many differences. The French Creoles of the Caribbean and Louisiana share certain features in common but they are not the same languages. For a more detailed look at French Creoles check out the French-based Creoles wikipedia page which has links to the various creoles' descriptions.

English based courses for Haitian Creole exist- DLI Haitian Creole (poor audio), Pimsleur Compact, An Pale Kreyól and Ti Koze Kreyól Book and Audio from Kansas University (scroll to bottom for free download) are a few of the English-based options for learning Haitian Creole. Don't let that stop you. Guadeloupe and Martinique are lovely islands in themselves.

Why doesn't Assimil make a Haitian Creole course and instead has this Guadeloupe Creole course? Pure business reasons, I would suppose. Well, Guadeloupe and Martinique are an integral part of France- Overseas Departments. The islands have a lot of visitors and labor from Metropolitan France. Haiti, while it has a considerably larger population, is of little economic importance to France in comparison and receives considerably fewer French visitors- mostly ngo workers with little to no French tourism.

Edited by iguanamon on 17 September 2012 at 2:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7024 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
17 September 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Pimsleur Compact

I was going to mention the comprehensive, which has been out for a little over two years?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version