Ольга
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3757 days ago

16 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: EnglishC1, German, French

Message 9 of 12
04 February 2015 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I read 3 books and 1 fanfiction in English now. Every day I read about 10 pages from every book. I read 'Gone with the Wind' by Margaret Mitchell, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' by J.K.Rowling, 'Of Human Bondage' by W. Somerset Maugham, and my favourite fanfiction 'In the House of Fallen Angels' by Rilla (based on the plot of books about Harry Potter). Maybe, my choice of books will be useful for somebody.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 12
04 February 2015 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Well there are many accessible authors to start with. A few exemples:

J.K.Rowling, A.Christie, Ch.Harris, S.King,... and many other popular authors. If you
don't feel like reading a normal book right away, you could try graded readers, their
higher levels might suit you well. However, I think a B1 learner is just at the right
spot to dive into the books as they are. Just take something you enjoy, something you
are passionate about and likely to devour. If you are not that much into fiction, you
can start with wikipedia and try some non fiction books about anything you want. Those
tend to be quite accessible as well.

An important thing: Don't let a book discourage you by being "too difficult" at first.
That is normal, it's called "leaving the comfort zone". If you persevere, you will
surely progress :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

KConn
United States
Joined 2510 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 12
16 August 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Always start with something interesting and simple. Like comic books and then move up
slowly to more advanced classic literature from famous playwrights, like
Shakespeare and
more.

Edited by KConn on 16 August 2017 at 11:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 12 of 12
18 August 2017 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

An important thing: Don't let a book discourage you by being "too difficult" at first.
That is normal, it's called "leaving the comfort zone". If you persevere, you will
surely progress :-)

Haha, I remember having hard times reading the early chapters of Harry Potter due to how Hagrid talks. Luckily it worth it to finish the book.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version