Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6813 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
18 September 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I have terabytes of (mostly useless*) courses, ebooks, audiobooks, etc, but give me a paperback and a CD (or, dare I say...tape!) any day.

It's not that I don't like technology, nor do I distrust it, but I've often found that the more advanced technology gets, the more things that could and invariably, with my luck, will go wrong which I just don't know how to fix.

Oh well, this caveman's off to hunt some mammoths...

* useless only beacuse I'm not going to be on Earth long enough to read them all, not because of their content.

Edited by patuco on 18 September 2012 at 12:35am

5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 17
18 September 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I like reading and listening to some courses on my tablet at night, usually before bed.

On the other hand, if I'm sitting at my desk - computer or not, give me a hard copy that
I can easily mark up all I want. The desk is where I write/keep most of my notes. I
never make use of those notes while reading in bed. Maybe if it were easier to mark up a
PDF file, I would. I suppose I can do annotations in the PDF, but it's just not the same
as real, physical writing on paper.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6944 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 11 of 17
18 September 2012 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I recorded all my language courses on cassettes from records and now they have been cleaned and converted to mp3 files. I find it extremely helpful that I can play the recordings anywhere on my mp3 player and listen while I am walking or shopping in the mall. I do my serious study at home but play the audio while I am out for revision.

I need to use the books for the courses because they simply can't be read on my e-readers. I like to use the books anyway. As Mrhenry says, you can mark the books (with pencil) and make notes of difficulties, translations or things you find important. I like to have both a hard and a soft copy.

But, I LOVE my Kindle. I have programs that convert pdf to files that can be read by Kindle. So far I have been unsuccessful with language books as the formatting gets messed up. If I have a hard copy of a book I read for pleasure and a Kindle copy I find it easier to read it on Kindle. I have some language books especially written for Kindle with mp3 audio I can play on the same Kindle while I read it but I have found it awkward to manipulate both the text and the audio together.

I think with all of the technology and the options available it has never been easier to learn a language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 17
18 September 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
For novels, the built-in dictionary on my kindle has been an amazing tool.   I don't like
using pdf's on it, though.   For actual language courses I need to flip back and forth
too much, and prefer a hard copy.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5949 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 17
18 September 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I'm very much a physical copy person, and I'll print out PDF's instead of reading them on a computer. This has it's disadvantages, as my apartment is now littered with various FSI lessons in a number of different languages. I've also obtained PDF's from a certain Uzbek bazaar, but this has then led me to track down physical copies. E.g. Modern Russian 1, Beginning Polish. The main reason I use physical copies for language study is due to the fact that I spend about nine hours at work in front of a computer.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4509 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 17
19 September 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I thought I'd hate using Assimil on my laptop after having the hard-copy editions of Russian and Italian with ease, and also German without Toil.

However, I have been using New French With Ease on my laptop, and love it.

I have a Nook, but have never read a book on it, haha. I think I generally prefer hard copies, but I am adapting.

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6062 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 15 of 17
19 September 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I enjoy hard copies from time to time, especially when starting a new language where you frequently need to refer
back a few chapters and sometimes need to go forward to the indexes and appendices.

That being said, I am on average reading in 4-5 languages per day It would be mildly cumbersome to carry 4-5
books with me everywhere I go and since I don't like to spend countless hours on a single task, picking only one or
two books to bring would not be convenient.

Of course, everyone is different and my experiences may not be the same as another; however, whenever possible,
especially when I am passed the intermediate stage in a language, my preference is to go electronic to facilitate
carrying around loads of content. I tend to access this information via one of four ways: when traveling long
distances or at home I tend to use my MacBook Air, when traveling around on the weekend or lounging at home I
normally use my iPad, when listening to audio I usually just use my iPhone, and when I plan on reading for extended
periods of time, or if I am trying to travel very light I'll just bring my Kindle.

That usually keeps me more than stocked with content in English, Latin, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin,
Japanese, and Esperanto. I am very rarely bored.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6237 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 17
20 September 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Juаn wrote:
I only read paper books of course, and would never use an ebook. Reading from a book will always be a superior experience.

Especially in the case of language learners, we should always support paper copies; by purchasing digital content, we contribute to a future where the enjoyment of our languages will be crippled as the availability of foreign books, movies and all forms of culture and knowledge becomes ever more limited due to regional restrictions imposed on digital distribution.

I think the obsession of our time with fashionable (and a lot of the time useless) technology is part of a process of de-culturization that leads to a life of the mind and the spirit that is ever poorer and more barren. It is only fitting that great writers and readers, from Umberto Eco to Carlos Fuentes, say no to ebooks.

Let me quote the former:

"‘Today we have texts that are 500 years old which seem to have been published days ago, yet we can barely read the computer discs that we used 10 or 15 years ago. As for the durability of new supports, for the moment we have no perspective.’"

Really, ebooks are fit for trash content - and that only.

Ebooks are NOT concerned with the preservation and veneration of an object; their goal is to transmit and share information. And if you are talking about language acquisition, you are not aiming for esthetics but for the acquisition of knowledge.

I have more knowledge and "culture" because of ebooks than I would have without. Ebooks have not empoverished the mind of their readers, on the contrary: so much more is available, so much more easily and at a lower cost. Of course, you are allowed to prefer printed books by all means, but as a whole, you are fighting a lost battle and I think you are blinded by your dislike and distrust of technology and change.

Like Arekkusu, I have much more knowledge due to ebooks.

However, both Arekkusu and Juan raise valid points. Some ebooks are aimed at preserving knowledge and disseminating it; Project Gutenberg springs to mind. Others are locked in proprietary, DRM-filled formats, and Juan is absolutely right to criticise these sharply - at their worst, these formats disenfrancise huge percentages of the world through region-locking (much like with DVDs), limit a user's access to books they've acquired, and entirely eliminate both long-term access to the book for the user, and any type of fair-use lending or reselling.

Digital content makes far more available than is feasible with paper copies. With the internet, I can look at anything from Project Runeberg through classical Japanese texts. Even the world's largest libraries simply cannot house the same range of quality material, for every language with a literary tradition. Crippled digital content, with region restrictions and DRM, is something Juan is quite right to criticize. Today, he cannot buy some books to due to his location, and I'm sometimes forced to use German rather than Italian or English due to restrictions done badly, and DVDs have demonstrated that a lot of content simply never becomes available for most regions.

Technology holds a lot of promise. However, while Juan correctly points out that it is sometimes used in fashionable yet useless ways, I think it's simply another issue which cannot be simplified to this degree while maintaining any degree of intellectual rigour; rather, a discussion on the level of "ebooks good/ebooks bad" becomes more of the mindless pap which he decries.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version