Pro Member
Italy
Joined 4249 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 4
19 September 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Hi all I'm a new user of this beautiful site. I'm Italian and I want to learn English.
Until yesterday I had to go in England for 5 - 6 months but now I'm a new student of my
university and I will go there. I want to learn English because a lot of textbooks, best
textbooks, are in English and when I read one of this I have trouble to understand it. My
question is: is it possible with Assimil in English to learn the language well? If I
study more than one lesson (for example six lessions) per day could be well or
counterproductive? Anyone could tell me a good method (step by step) with Assimil that
permits me to understand an English textbook or to listen an university videocourse??

Sorry for my bad English. I have used Google Translate for some words.

I hope that someone have understood.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
19 September 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
menez93 wrote:
is it possible with Assimil in English to learn the language well?

Hello, and welcome to HTLAL! I've tried to write this post in simple English.

First of all, what kinds of English writing can you understand right now, and how well
do you understand it?

If you want to understand textbooks in English, you will probably need to have reading
skills at a level of CEFR B2, and possibly C1.

You can find an explanation of the CEFR levels here, in Italian. Please read this
quickly before continuing:

Quadro comune europeo di riferimento (QCER)

Assimil has two English courses with an Italian base:

1. L'Inglese
2. Perfezionamento dell'Inglese

Course #1 will help you reach CEFR A2 or B1. Course #2 will help you reach CEFR B2.
These levels are not exact—you may learn more or less.

menez93 wrote:
If I study more than one lesson (for example six lessions) per day could
be well or counterproductive?

Six Assimil lessons per day will be hard. You want to really understand each
lesson, and not just look at it quickly. You will need at least 30 minutes per lesson.
(Of course, you already know some English, so the first lessons will be easy.)

menez93 wrote:
Anyone could tell me a good method (step by step) with Assimil that
permits me to understand an English textbook or to listen an university videocourse??

Once you finish L'Inglese, you should start trying to read English textbooks.
Look up words you don't understand. If you want, you can copy interesting sentences
from your textbook to an Anki deck. An interesting sentence is one which uses an
important expression or a word you want to know better. If you use Anki, review your
Anki cards every day.

The more English textbooks you read, the easier they will be to understand. Practice
makes perfect.

If you spend about 500 hours studying Assimil, reading textbooks, and practicing your
English, you should be able to understand most English-language textbooks (especially
textbooks on technical and professional subjects), and you should be able to understand
some video courses. If you've already studied a lot of English, you will need
less than 500 hours.

menez93 wrote:
Sorry for my bad English.

No problem! I could understand your questions, and everybody at HTLAL knows how hard it
is to write well in a foreign language.
8 persons have voted this message useful

menez93
Pro Member
Italy
Joined 4249 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
19 September 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I have PET certification (level B1).
I have a method for Assimil.
I start with "L'inglese" with these line guide for each lesson:

1. Listen to the text with the book closed. It does not matter if you do not
understand what is said. You will gain a general impression of the sounds, hearing the
pronunciation without being influenced by the spelling.

2. Listen to the recording a second time while looking at the English translation.

3. Read the Dutch text aloud (with the aid of the phonetic transcription if necessary).
Be sure you understand the meaning of each sentence, comparing it with the translation
as required.

4. Now read the Dutch text again, but this time without looking at the translation.

5. Listen to the recording twice, once while looking at the English translation, and
once while looking at the Dutch text.

6. Listen to the recording again with the book closed. At this point you should
understand what is being said.

7. Listen to the recording once more. Stop the machine after each sentence, and try to
repeat it aloud.

8. Carefully read the comments several times. Examine the Dutch sentences being
explained. These notes are very important.

9. Read the exercises. Repeat each sentence several times. The exercises review
material from the current lesson and from preceding lessons. If you have forgotten
certain words, consult the English translation.

10. Examine the examples of sentence structure. They show how words and phrases are
combined in Dutch, which is not always the same as in English.

after point ten I could translate two lessons for week (from English to Italian) and
(from Italian to English)

when I will finish "L'inglese" I will use "Perfezionamento".

Is it ok? Is this method good?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
19 September 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
menez93 wrote:
I have PET certification (level B1).
I have a method for Assimil.
I start with "L'inglese" with these line guide for each lesson:

when I will finish "L'inglese" I will use "Perfezionamento".

Is it ok? Is this method good?

I just looked at the sample papers for the PET B1 exam. This test requires you to
understand the main ideas of English language text, and to write about 150 words about
concrete, familiar subjects. So you already know quite a bit of English.

This will make things much easier for you! All you need to do is figure out how to make
it from B1 to B2, which will probably take a few hundred hours of hard work. You may
find that L'inglese is much too easy for you. You might even be ready to start
Perfezionamento.

To use an Assimil lesson, listen to the audio and read the text until you understand
100% of the English text and 95% of the English audio. You can use the Dutch
instructions that you posted above, or you can try doing things in other orders. For
example, sometimes I read the text first, sometimes I listen first, and sometimes I
make Anki cards for each lesson first. Try to study every day. (You might need to spend
two days on some Perfezionamento lessons, if it's like Assimil's other
intermediate courses.)

But Assimil, by itself, may not be enough to learn how to read English-language
textbooks. When I was at B1, I discovered that I needed to use a mix of different
techniques to make fast progress. Assimil was useful, but it wasn't enough by itself.

Here are some things that may help you reach B2. You may want to try some of these and
see if they help:

1. Take a look at Perfezionamento and see if you're ready.

2. Read interesting non-fiction ebooks with a pop-up dictionary, and look up unknown
words. Try to read a lot. Wikipedia's great, too.

3. Learn how to write comfortably. When I was at B1, I spent 30 days writing on lang-8,
and it made a huge difference. In particular, it dramatically improved my French
grammar. See my post in this thread for some
suggestions.

4. Try to listen to online news radio, or to watch documentaries on TV. These tend to
be much easier than TV shows and movies. Do some "intensive" listening, where you play
the same audio over and over, read transcripts, and try to understand everything. Also
do "extensive" listening, where you listen lots of audio and don't worry if you miss
stuff.

5. Find lots of English-language materials, websites and forums that you find
interesting or addictive.

6. Look for English speakers on SharedTalk and other language-exchange websites, and
practice your speaking skills. It's possible to make very rapid progress speaking
around B1.

7. Consider making sentence cards in Anki. Here are some samples from my French deck:

Quote:
Professional vocabulary from Wikipedia:
(The back side of this card is blank.)

Un enregistrement, tuple ou entrée est un élément d’un fichier ou d’une base de
données. L’enregistrement contient habituellement plusieurs informations qui se
rapportent au même objet. Par exemple, un enregistrement d’un fichier contenant la
description des clients d’une entreprise contiendra plusieurs informations sur un
client : son numéro de client, son nom, son adresse postale, son numéro de téléphone,
etc…

A fill-in-the-blanks card with colloquial vocabulary, taken from a humor site
(This will actually make 4 different cards, each asking me to fill in one word.)

Aujourd'hui, je me prépare à passer mon permis de conduire. Nerveuse, je me répète
mentalement "Bonjour, madame l'examinatrice" afin d'être sûre {{c1::de}} ne pas
bafouiller et {{c1::de}} sembler décontractée. {{c2::Au}} {{c3::moment}} {{c4::de}}
m'installer au volant, j'ai lancé un magnifique : "Bonjour, madame l'exterminatrice."
Eh merde. VDM

A grammar card for practicing "auquel", from the same humor site

Aujourd'hui, recherche d'appartement en couple. On tombe sur une petite merveille
correspondant à la perfection à nos critères mais mon copain est réticent. Ah oui, un
détail {{c1::auquel}} je n'avais pas pensé. C'est une très mauvaise situation en cas
d'attaque de zombies. VDM

I try to learn 10 new cards per day, and to do my Anki reviews every day. (My average
daily reviews are 60–100 cards.) These cards help me learn and remember new
vocabulary, and also tricky bits of grammar.

Basically, if you use and practice your English regularly, you should be able to read
many English textbooks very soon. B2 isn't enough for every textbook, but it
makes a huge difference compared to B1. And you're not that far away.

Good luck!

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version