Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 21
26 September 2012 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I did but for the final lessons I was mostly overlooking it. Due to lack of grammar, I couldn't understand either the Georgian or the German after translating word by word. Now I'm much better (at Georgian). Since it's your native language, I can assure you it's fairly more comprehensive than Kiziria's Beginner's Georgian, though the final reading lessons are a bit too boring and they're so extense that you miss the didactical aspect. I still find Nikolaishvili's Intensive Course (had access only to the Russian edition) as the best introduction in terms of relevant, meaningful, graded dialogues, but Lehrbuch will indeed bring you much further than Kiziria's.
1 person has voted this message useful

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4295 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, Mandarin
Studies: Tatar, Turkish

Message 18 of 21
26 September 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I will take on Georgian when I've got a free slot in my languages, maybe 2014 ;)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 19 of 21
26 September 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Haha how do you define a free slot?

Like I said at my French log, I'm taking my last French textbook, then I'll have a free slot because I don't plan on taking textbooks anymore, only native materials. So, it will be replaced probably by a language i'm an intermediate speaker of, until I manage to bring it up to the same level. This considering that I'm taking 4 languages at a time. I might as well just drop Mandarin that bores me to death and gain a free slot then. I don't envisage adding up a 5th language, that would cause me stress and burnout, even though I do have cronological time for that.

To remain on topic, what is your background on turkic languages before trying Tatar?

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4295 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 20 of 21
26 September 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Even though I've got a lot of material for the Turkish language, I haven't started to learn Turkish yet. So Tatar is my first turkic language and I definitely want to try it out on a local Turkish speaker here in Germany just to see how big/small the mutual intelligibility between Turkish and other turkic languages really is. That's going to be fun and I will write about "THE EXPERIMENT"(®) in this language log!

Yes, the concept of "free slots" is a fluid one! ;)
Don't drop Mandarin if You can avoid it, so much fun to be had!

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4295 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes

Message 21 of 21
08 October 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I'd just like to announce a change of plans here:

Since I've got a lot of Turkish learning material here at home and at the local library, I decided to go for Turkish first and then start Tatar so I can appreciate/feel the differences between these two languages. I really want to experience the "differentness" of Tatar in comparison to the much wider spoken Turkish language if that makes any sense.

In the next posts I'm just listing the Turkish material I'm working with.

Thanks everyone for Your understanding and apologies to everyone expecting Tatar log entries in the near future!

---Current material I'm using:

Assimil. Türkisch ohne Mühe
(no comment)

http://www.amazon.de/ASSiMiL-Selbstlernkurs-f%C3%BCr-Deutsch e-Lektionen/dp/3896250213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349730426& sr=8-1

---

Lextra junior - Türkisch - Unser erstes Bildwörterbuch
(A vocabulary book for children, with neat illustrations. Me like. Slowly chipping away at this book while surfing the web.)

http://www.amazon.de/Lextra-junior-Bildw%C3%B6rterbuch-W%C3% B6rterbuch-TING-f%C3%A4hig/dp/3589019247/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps &ie=UTF8&qid=1349730483&sr=1-1-catcorr

Edited by onkel_xiaoma on 08 October 2012 at 11:16pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version