ericblair
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 19
19 September 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone gone through a Linguaphone course from the 70's that has 30 Lessons? I have the one for French, with an English base, and had a few questions.

One, how steep is the progression? Right now I am in week 2 of French With Ease. I am also working through the French with Paul Noble course and Madrigal's Magic Keys for French.

Let's say I finish the Paul Noble this week. Would being done with that and 2 weeks worth of With Ease lessons be enough to get going on Linguaphone? Or should I maybe spend another week or two after finishing up Magic Keys as well so then I'd be done with that, Paul Noble, and at least 3 weeks of Assimil French with Ease first?

Second, how does one progress through the course in terms of speed? I was flipping through and it is hard for me to gauge how fast one should look to move through it. I mean, 30 Lessons in 30 days seems like that would not be reasonable or prudent, haha. It looks like each lesson has 3 parts. Would one part of a lesson per day be sufficient? So, 90 days to finish? Or should I be looking more at something like a Lesson per week?

Also, does anyone that has done it have any general advice on how to use the program? The directions in the Handbook seem very thorough, but I figured asking if there were supplemental ways to use it (a la using the Dutch w/ Ease directions) would be a good idea.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 19
19 September 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
Has anyone gone through a Linguaphone course from the 70's that has 30 Lessons?

Yes, I've gone through Spanish course (25 years ago), the French and the German one.

ericblair wrote:
Second, how does one progress through the course in terms of speed? I was flipping through
and it is hard for me to gauge how fast one should look to move through it. I mean, 30 Lessons in 30 days seems
like that would not be reasonable or prudent, haha.

Language learning takes time. Going through a Linguaphone course (or an Assimil course) in 30 days, would, in
my opinion, not be a good idea.

ericblair wrote:
It looks like each lesson has 3 parts. Would one part of a lesson per day be sufficient? So, 90
days to finish? Or should I be looking more at something like a Lesson per week?

In addition to the 3 parts you have the oral and written exercises.

One or two lessons per week worked well for me.

ericblair wrote:
Also, does anyone that has done it have any general advice on how to use the program? The
directions in the Handbook seem very thorough, but I figured asking if there were supplemental ways to use it (a
la using the Dutch w/ Ease directions) would be a good idea.

I've more or less followed the directions given in the Handbook.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 3 of 19
19 September 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I did the French Linguaphone from the 70s. Took me about 2 months to get to lesson 26 or 27 I think next to Assimil. I used it the same exact way I used Assimil.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 4 of 19
19 September 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:

Yes, I've gone through Spanish course (25 years ago), the French and the German one.

Wow, that is cool!

tractor wrote:
Language learning takes time. Going through a Linguaphone course (or an Assimil course) in 30 days, would, in
my opinion, not be a good idea.

Agreed! I was being a bit facetious :)

tractor wrote:
In addition to the 3 parts you have the oral and written exercises.

One or two lessons per week worked well for me.

Oh, I only have the written exercises. But, that is a good point. I was not thinking about the time to do those at all.

1 or 2 per week seems like a fair pace! Especially since I am sure the first few lessons won't pose a crazy amount of challenge.

tractor wrote:
I've more or less followed the directions given in the Handbook.

Excellent!

So, do you think it is reasonable for me to begin Linguaphone whenever I can fit it into my schedule, regardless of how far I am into Assimil?

ericblair
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 5 of 19
19 September 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
I did the French Linguaphone from the 70s. Took me about 2 months to get to lesson 26 or 27 I think next to Assimil. I used it the same exact way I used Assimil.

Nice, so more or less 2 days per lesson? Seems a bit speedy, but I suppose I can adjust on the fly.

In which way did you use Assimil? Or just the Dutch w/ Ease stuff?

Sorry for so many questions, but how good was your French pre-Linguaphone, and how far would you say it took you?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5324 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 

Message 6 of 19
19 September 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I think 90 days is a good first run timescale with Linguaphone French - but you have to
really get it into your skin to the point where you can listen to the lessons and
understand it without mental translation into English before it works its magic.

Personally, I really liked it, I did it 3 years ago and still listen to it - I
especially like the story line involving the deeply annoying Paul Delon and the
coquettish coolness of Marie-Claire Martin.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 7 of 19
20 September 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I think 90 days is a good first run timescale with Linguaphone French -
but you have to
really get it into your skin to the point where you can listen to the lessons and
understand it without mental translation into English before it works its magic.

Personally, I really liked it, I did it 3 years ago and still listen to it - I
especially like the story line involving the deeply annoying Paul Delon and the
coquettish coolness of Marie-Claire Martin.

Wow, still listening to audio from a language learning course three years later is very
high praise, haha!

Thanks for your input that 90 days might not be too shabby. That seems fairly in line
with what I was thinking!

Would you mind expanding a bit on the "magic" of the course as you term it? It always
excites me and motivates me to read about other people's experiences with a course or
learning style! Thanks.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan

Message 8 of 19
20 September 2012 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
So, do you think it is reasonable for me to begin Linguaphone whenever I can fit it into my
schedule, regardless of how far I am into Assimil?

Yes.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version