Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 12
22 September 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Paul Noble is incredibly boring - a language learning method that moves at a speed that
suits enthusiasts of watching paint dry (still, to be fair, for many absolute beginners
that is the right pace).
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 12
23 September 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
My advice would be:
New French with Ease
French Without Toil
Using French

You can read my experiences so far in Rush to France and French. I'm using a novel approach that I've found very effective.

I've heard the Linguaphone course from the 70s is good, but with the above lineup, I don't think it would be necessary.

Resnick's Essential French Grammar is good, and I think the way I have used it has been effective, but the 3 courses above hit the grammar pretty well if you aren't "into" grammar per se.

Edited by luke on 23 September 2012 at 3:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 11 of 12
25 September 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Since I only do the active wave for Assimil books and no reviewing (a personal distaste for reviews), I'd do one Assimil book (NFWE) then review it by doing another Assimil book (FWT). That's actually what I plan to do with German, for which I got three editions I had done both German without toil and O novo alemão sem esforço and got incredibly bored with both around their half. I also got two other editions, La pratique de l'allemand and Perfectionnement allemand, and will do the same approach with the intermediate level. I do need to make this basic German vocabulary stick so I can move on.

As for French, since I wasn't a beginner, I did quick NFWE lessons (7 a day, only doing the necessary exercises) then proceeded to Using French. Then I did Le français des affaires which made much more sense than Using French, because the texts were longer, more meaningful, more contextualized, and I had reached a level at which Assimil's short sketches wouldn't help me much at composing and reading longer textes. After that I did the same with Living Language Ultimate French, skipping unnecessary grammar explanations in English, then proceeding to Living Language Advanced French. Then I did Hugo's in three months, proceeding to Hugo's Advanced French. Both LL and Hugo turned out to be a great surprise. Now i'm doing a final French for Marketing, almost entirely monolingual, and after that I'll stick to native materials, clearing up some grammar rules here and there. I just didn't have the chance to practice at Skype or have natives correct me at lang-8 or italki, but I feel I know much more than I did when I went to Paris in February this year.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
26 September 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I'm not learning French, but these three great sites offer it:
http://lyricstraining.com/
http://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/collection/lm_french.html
http://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version