United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4866 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 1 of 3
25 September 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. I am being a bit curious here. I am getting back to studying Russian again and I am having a hard
time trying to distinguish if there is a difference in pronounciation between the English 'sh' and 'zh' sound as in
'shoe' and 'measure' with their Russian counterparts, such as 'шесть' & 'журнал'.

I feel like in Russian the sounds create something that sounds like a faint whistle. So my question is, are they
pronounced differently in both languages, and if so, how does one go about placing the tongue when pronouncing
these sounds in Russian? Thanks in advance :)
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4575 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 2 of 3
25 September 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, they are different from the English sounds in that they are both retroflex. Basically it means that the tip of the tongue is curled upwards. More detailed descriptions of the sounds can be found here and here. Generally, if you use the [ʒ] sound from 'measure' instead of [ʐ] you will likely be understood, even if it will sound off. The [ʃ] of 'shoe' might be more problematic, in that (at least to me) it sounds closer to the [ɕ] sound of Щ than to the [ʂ] sound of Ш, so it's best to learn to distinguish them. And, on a related note, even though Щ is generally transliterated as 'shch' it's not actually pronounced [ʂt͡ɕ] or [ʃtʃ] in modern Russian - the actual pronunciation is [ɕː] or [ɕɕ].

Edited by vonPeterhof on 25 September 2012 at 1:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4859 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 3
25 September 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Yes, they are different from the English sounds in that they are
both retroflex. Basically it means that the tip of the tongue is curled upwards. More
detailed descriptions of the sounds can be found
here and
here. Generally,
if you use the [ʒ] sound from 'measure' instead of [ʐ] you will likely be understood,
even if it will sound off. The [ʃ] of 'shoe' might be more problematic, in that (at
least to me) it sounds closer to the [ɕ] sound of Щ than to the [ʂ] sound of Ш, so it's
best to learn to distinguish them. And, on a related note, even though Щ is generally
transliterated as 'shch' it's not actually pronounced [ʂt͡ɕ] or [ʃtʃ] in modern Russian
- the actual pronunciation is [ɕː] or [ɕɕ].

The lenghth of щ is only in certain positions and is not important for understanding.
Basically speaking the Russian consonants are hard while the English ones are soft. The
difference is cruacial for a Russian ear.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version