Groupie
United States
Joined 4345 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish

Message 1 of 5
25 September 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
There is a book whose name I have unfortunately forgotten that was aimed at helping
people who speak one Romance language get a grip on the other Romance languages. I
doubt it would have a speak of Spanish fluent in French, Portuguese, Italian and
Romanian, but it probably would have made texts a bit easier to decipher.

Is there something like this for Swedish speakers? Besides obvious things like "ö
becomes ø and ä becomes æ," are there any other sort of predictable mutations between
Swedish and Danish that would make the second easier to read? Or are Swedish and Danish
just so darn similar that mastery of one implies facility in reading the second?

I ask for two reasons - one, I have a book in Danish that I would like to read, as
resources for Scandinavian languages are few around here, and two, in the future I may
want to dabble in Greenlandic and the most detailed materials are in Danish. I am not,
however, currently interested in learning to pronounce Danish or understand the spoken
language or even writing it - simply getting a passive understanding of the written
language.

Is there such a thing aimed at Swedish speakers? How about for Swedish to Norwegian
(bokmål or nynorsk)?

EDIT: Found a resource that offers a "free Danish course for Swedes." All in Swedish,
of course. Here are examples of
words that are different in each language.

Edited by pbromide on 25 September 2012 at 9:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
25 September 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
The languages that are most similar in writing are Danish and Norwegian, so a native (or learner) of either one can read the other without problems.

But of course there are titles similar to the Romance book you're thinking of (the title escapes me too at the moment).

My library have bilingual (and trilingual) dictionaries (e.g. "Dansk-norsk-svensk ordbok" - Natanel Beckman), as well as titles such as "Dansk som nabosprog" (Jens Cramer, "Dansk for svenskere" (Kjeld Kristensen), "Dansk for svensktalende" (Robert Zola Christensen), "Dansk grammatik for svenskere" (same author), "Lærebok i norsk for svensker" (Anton Fjeldstad), "Norsk for svensker" (same author), "Norsk som nabospråk" (Olaug Rekdal), "Vägar till danska språket" (Maj Holm Svensson)...
3 persons have voted this message useful

pbromide
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4345 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish

Message 3 of 5
26 September 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I believe I remember the title of the Romance language book, "The Seven Sieves: A Guide
To Reading All The Romance Languages Right Away."

There appears to be (or have been) a Germanic equivalent called EuroComGerm, written in
German, but unfortunately I cannot find any links to buy the book, and no English
translation appears to be available. The same situation exists with EuroComSlav. Very
unfortunate, as this seems like a very useful project, and one that could have
potentially helped me with this problem.

In any case, thank you for your response. At least now I know the materials I want are
there to look forward to when I get a good grasp on Swedish.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 5
26 September 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Some time ago, didn't Iversen post about finding some books he'd found on the subject of "X" for speakers of "Y" (or "Z"), where "X", "Y", and "Z" were the 3 main Scandinavian languages?

I think they were introductory level type books, not massively comprehensive tomes. Possibly meant for tourists.

If I find the post, I'll get back to you. (I'll probably find it, and find it was about something totally different!).

From that course you posted a link to, I was a little surprised how many differences there were. On the other hand, I've also noticed (casually, not systematically) quite a few similarities, and can usually recognize (from Danish, and not necessarily understand) at least 50% of the words in the average posting in Swedish on HTLAL.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4357 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 5 of 5
26 September 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
pbromide wrote:
There is a book whose name I have unfortunately forgotten that was aimed at helping people who speak one Romance language get a grip on the other Romance languages. I doubt it would have a speak of Spanish fluent in French, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian, but it probably would have made texts a bit easier to decipher.

Is there something like this for Swedish speakers?

pbromide wrote:
Is there such a thing aimed at Swedish speakers? How about for Swedish to Norwegian (bokmål or nynorsk)?

Sounds like the book you're talking about could be EuroComRom: The Seven Sieves. There's a book by the same authors covering the Germanic family called EuroComGerm. I haven't had the pleasure to read either of the two, but it makes sense to me that some form of comparative grammar study could be very useful when dealing with closely related languages. I also recall a Swedish friend of mine mentioning a pair of books called Norsk som nabospråk and Dansk som nabosprog, which are apparently Norwegian/Danish grammar for Swedes with some word lists thrown in.

pbromide wrote:

Or are Swedish and Danish just so darn similar that mastery of one implies facility in reading the second?

More or less. I'm at a point with my Swedish where I can read fiction and newspapers comfortably, albeit a bit slower than my normal reading speed, and seem to have little trouble reading dr.dk/Nyheder or the Danish Wikipedia, if I take my time. Fiction is probably harder, though, and I doubt I could read a novel for enjoyment without some additional exposure.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version