Diglot
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Urdu
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 33 of 52
14 October 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
If you don't mind, PM me your email id. The above will take some time to explain and teaching you in real-time over msn for example will be much quicker.
1 person has voted this message useful

whitelily
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5447 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Arabic (classical), Urdu

Message 34 of 52
14 October 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I will do that. Thank you for your offer.

Edit: typo

Edited by whitelily on 14 October 2012 at 8:45pm

hamba
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6545 days ago

22 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Indonesian

Message 35 of 52
15 October 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Please whitelilly.& boomerang, for the sake of all passive learners who are following your exchanges, I' m sure most would agree we are getting a lot of benefit just reading boomerangs answers.

I for one would love to see the.answers posted.in the forum. Of course if it is difficult then never mind. This is just a request. Thanks to both of you for your postings...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 36 of 52
15 October 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Please whitelilly.& boomerang, for the sake of all passive learners who are following your exchanges, I' m sure most would agree we are getting a lot of benefit just reading boomerangs answers.

I for one would love to see the.answers posted.in the forum. Of course if it is difficult then never mind. This is just a request. Thanks to both of you for your postings...

I wasn't aware of the fact that others were following this topic besides whitelily. If there are others who are interested in learning then please feel free to post your questions and I'll try my best to answer them. It's just that teaching in real time is much quicker and some can benefit a lot more that way. And your welcome, I am glad you found what I explained beneficial.

strickvl
Bilingual Tetraglot
Pro Member
Jordan
alexstrick.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4512 days ago

27 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Persian, Pashto, Dari
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 52
15 October 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I think there are quite a few of us following along. Very useful discussions.

Thanks.

whitelily
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5447 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 38 of 52
15 October 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
@Boomerang3378: I think your thorough explanations are something that benefits a lot of people in here
(Especially because the resources to learn Urdu are quite scarce compared to the materials available when trying to
learn other languages.) Again, I have to thank you for both your time and effort.

@Strickvl and Hamba: Personally, I´m fine with either way (here or real time), so eventually it´s up to what
Boomerang3378 prefers. I´m very happy to have fellow Urdu-learners here on HTLAL, and I´m happy to hear that
you are benefitting just like me!

Edited by whitelily on 15 October 2012 at 11:21pm

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 39 of 52
16 October 2012 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Okay, if there are people who are following the thread, I'll post my replies over here so that most can learn from the explanations.

@whitelily: Your welcome. I'll post the responses here and if you are unsure about something and want to understand quickly then I can explain it over msn.

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 40 of 52
16 October 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Okay, this time I´m wondering about using verbs as adjectives. I was wondering if you could explain this to me.

It says that to use a verb in the past tense, you would for example write (for the verb "to burn" - jalanaa)

jalta makaan - a burning house
jalte makaan mein - in a burning house

First of all... "A burning house" is not translated as "Jalta Makaan". "A burning house" is called "Jalta hua Makaan". In this sentence, the "hua" is equivalent to the "ing" ending in "burning" signifying that the house is in the burning process and that it hasn't finished burning. Now, suppose you see a house in the woods that is black and most of it has fallen to the ground, what impression are you going to get of it? You'll definitely think that the house was on fire and now it lies in its ruined state. That house when described in English is called "A burnt house" (Past tense) which means that the house was on fire and now the burning has stopped. So, in Urdu "A burnt house" is called "Jala hua makaan"... In this sentence the "hua" has a completely different meaning than it previously did in the previous example. Over here "hua" denotes "burnt". Also note that "Jalta" has changed to "Jala". The word which takes this sentence into the past tense are the words "Jala + hua", together meaning "burnt". Lets take a look at some examples...

"Jalna" ... "burns"
"Jal gaya" ... "burnt"
"Jalay ga" ... "Will burn"

For Masculine objects:

"Jalana" ... "to burn"
"Yay jalta hai" ... "It burns"
"Yay jalta tha" ..."It used to burn"
"Yay jal gaya" ... "It burnt"
"Yay jalay ga" ..."It will burn"
"Jalta hua" ... "is burning"
"jala hua" ... "burnt"
"Jala hua hoga" ..."will have been burnt"

For feminine objects:

"Jalana" ... "to burn"
"Yay jalti hai" ... "It burns"
"Yay jalti thi" ..."It used to burn"
"Yay jali thi" ... "It burnt"
"Yay jalay gi" ..."It will burn"
"Jalti hui" ... "is burning"
"jali hui" ... "burnt"
"Jali hui hogi" ..."will have been burnt"

Keeping the above in mind, lets take two objects and describe them being on fire. A car (Gari) and a house (Makaan/ghar).

"Yay ghar jalta hai" ... "This house burns" ... "Yay" = "This" , "jalta hai" = "burns"
"Yay ghar jalta tha" ... "This house used to burn" ... "jalta tha" = "used to burn"
"Yay ghar jalay ga" ... "This house will burn" ... "jalay ga" = "will burn"
"Yay eik jalta hua ghar hai" ... "This is a burning house" ... "jalta hua" = "burn(ing)" , "hai" = "is"
"Yay eik jalta hua ghar tha" ... "This was a burning house" ... "jalta hua" = "burn(ing)" , "tha" = "was"
"Yay eik jalta hua ghar hoga" ... "This will be a burning house" ... "jalta hua" = "burn(ing)" , "hoga" = "will be"
"Yay eik jalta hua ghar hosakta tha" ... "This could have been a burning house" ... "hosakta tha" = "could have been"

"Mein eik jaltay huay makan mein hun" ... "I am in a burning house"
"Mein eik jaltay huay makan mein tha" ... "I was in a burning house"
"Mein eik jaltay huay makan mein hounga" ... "I will be in a burning house"
"Mein eik jalay huay makaan mein hun" ... "I am in a burnt house"
"Mein eik jalay huay makaan mein tha" ..."I was in a burnt house"
"Mein eik jalay huay makaan mein hounga" ..."I will be in a burnt house"
"Mein eik makaan mein hun jo jala hua hosakta tha" ... "I am in a house that could have been on fire" ... "jo" = "that"
"Mein eik makan mein hun jo jala hua hosakta hai ... "I am in a house that can be on fire" .... "jo" = "that"
"Mein eik makan mein hun jo jala hua tha" ... "I am in a house that was burnt" ... "jo" = "that"
"Woh eik ghar mein jaye ga jo jal raha hoga kyun kay woh pagal hai" ... "He will go into a house that's on fire because he is crazy" ... "kyun kay" = "Because" ... "pagal" = "crazy/insane/nuts"

So "a burning house" is translated as "jalta hua makan". Note that in the above sentences where it is described that someone is going into the burning house, "jaltay huay" is always used. In this context, this is an inflection you have to learn. Now when you point to a burning house and ask someone "Yay kia hai?" ("What is this?") ... The response will be "Yay eik jalta hua makan hai" (This is a burning house) ... Note that "jaltay huay" cannot be used here at all as there is no description of anyone going inside the house or exiting it. Lets consider a dialogue between The Joker and Harley Quinn.

Harley(pointing to a burning house): "Joker yay kia hai?" ... ("Joker, what is this?")

Joker: "Yay eik jalta hua makan hai" ... ("This is a burning house.")

Joker: "Harley kia aap meray liye is jaltay huay makaan mein jayen gi?" ... ("Harley will you go into this burning house for me?")

meray liye = for me, is = this, jayen gi = will go (an ending used for girls) ... Jao gay = will go (Male ending which would have been used if joker was talking to another guy)

Harley: "Ji Joker mein ap kay liye kuch bhe karnay k liye tyaar hun" ... ("Yes Joker, I am ready to do anything for you.")

"Ji"="yes", "kuch bhe"="anything", "tyaar"="ready", "aap k liye"="for you", "karna"="to do", "karnay k liye tyaar"="ready to do", "karnay k liye tyaar hun"="I am ready to do", "kuch bhe karnay k liye tyaar"="ready to do anything", "mein kuch bhe karnay k liye tyaar hun"="I am ready to do anything" and finally putting it all together ... "Mein ap k liye kuch bhe karnay k liye tyaar hun"="I am ready to do anything for you" This is how the entire sentence is put together. You should now have an idea of how sentences like these are formed. If not, feel free to ask me what you didn't understand.

The purpose of the dialogue above between Joker and Harley was to show you how the inflection "jaltay huay" is used. It's used when talking about something that happens/happened/will happen to the masculine objects and when someone is entering or exiting them but not limited to these two reasons. This was for a masculine object (Makaan). Now to explain how sentences like these are used for feminine objects. Lets take an example of "a burning car" (Jalti hui Gaari) next.

"Yay Gaari jalti hai" ... "This car burns" ... "Yay" = "This" , "jalti hai" = "burns"
"Yay Gaari jalti thi" ... "This car used to burn" ... "jalti thi" = "used to burn"
"Yay Gaari jalay gi" ... "This car will burn" ... "jalay gi" = "will burn"
"Yay eik jalti hui Gaari hai" ... "This is a burning car" ... "jalti hui" = "burn(ing)" , "hai" = "is"
"Yay eik jalti hui Gaari thi" ... "This was a burning car" ... "jalti hui" = "burn(ing)" , "thi" = "was"
"Yay eik jalti hui Gaari hogi" ... "This will be a burning car" ... "jalti hui" = "burn(ing)" , "hogi" = "will be"
"Yay eik jalti hui Gaari hosakti thi" ... "This could have been a burning car" ... "hosakti thi" = "could have been"

"hosakti thi", "jalti thi", "jalay gi" etc are all the female endings which imply that "car"(gari) is feminine.

"Mein eik jalti hui Gaari mein hun" ... "I am in a burning car"
"Mein eik jalti hui Gaari mein tha" ... "I was in a burning car"
"Mein eik jalti hui Gaari mein hounga" ... "I will be in a burning car"
"Mein eik jali hui Gaari mein hun" ... "I am in a burnt car"
"Mein eik jali hui Gaari mein tha" ..."I was in a burnt car"
"Mein eik jali hui Gaari mein hounga" ..."I will be in a burnt car"
"Mein eik Gaari mein hun jo jali hui hosakti thi" ... "I am in a car that could have been on fire" ... "jo" = "that"
"Mein eik Gaari mein hun jo jali hui hosakti hai ... "I am in a car that can be on fire" .... "jo" = "that"
"Mein eik Gaari mein hun jo jali hui thi" ... "I am in a car that was burnt" ... "jo" = "that"
"Woh eik Gaari mein jaye ga jo jal rahi hogi kyun kay woh pagal hai" ... "He will go into a car that's on fire because he is crazy"

So "a burning car" is "Jalti hui gaari". Also note that there is no inflection over here in this context as the object being spoken about is feminine. Another example, if you were a genie and trapped in a burning bottle ... you'd say, "Mein eik jalti hui bottle mein hun, Aladdin muje bahir nikalo!" ... "I am in a burning bottle, Aladdin take me out!" See, there is no inflection. If you didn't understand anything from above please feel free to ask.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version