Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 167
26 September 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I would like to let the language learning community know that I have just published a language course on Québec French called Le québécois en 10 leçons.

The book is available here and the first lesson can be sampled here. Note that you can order it from your local Lulu site to reduce shipping costs.

As far as I know, there is no other book on the market that teaches Québécois French. There are dictionaries and phrasebooks, but this is a complete course offering dialogues, grammatical explanations, vocabulary and exercises. Free recordings can also be downloaded. It should help learners understand Québécois people when they speak naturally, as well as Québec's music, TV and movies.

The book is written in French and requires an intermediate reading level.

This project has been on my mind, on and off, for the last two decades and I'm very happy to finally be able to introduce it to this community. I really need to thank Sprachprofi whose interest for Québécois was so keen that she convinced me to go ahead with the project, and who advised me every step of the way. In other words, the book might have never happened if we hadn't met on HTLAL.

Edited by Arekkusu on 26 September 2012 at 9:25pm

24 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 167
26 September 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu kindly allowed me to review an earlier version of lesson 1, and I really enjoyed
it. They layout is interesting: Each chapter begins with a dialog in Quebec French, which
is then followed by grammar explanations and definitions. But at the end of the chapter,
there's an interlinear translation to "standard" French. So you can actually use lesson 1
just like an Assimil course. Or you can use it like a more traditional course.

This book is really useful for anybody with intermediate French who wants to work on
their listening skills before visiting Quebec.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 3 of 167
26 September 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Very well done, Arekkusu. We just discussed on course writing and I'm glad to see you put up this course. This is one more encouragement for me to be an author, only that I'll have to deal with languages I'm not a native speaker of.

I've checked the first lesson and the dialogues seem quite vivid, and you've focused on the differences from European French, so, that was the right thing to do.

Good luck with this and other projects!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 167
26 September 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Not learning French but this sounds fantastic!
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 5 of 167
26 September 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Not learning French but this sounds fantastic!

What are you waiting for?! ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 6 of 167
26 September 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Very well done, Arekkusu. We just discussed on course writing and I'm glad to see you put up this course. This is one more encouragement for me to be an author, only that I'll have to deal with languages I'm not a native speaker of.

I've checked the first lesson and the dialogues seem quite vivid, and you've focused on the differences from European French, so, that was the right thing to do.

Thanks for your kind comments. I think the dialogues actually get better as you move through the book because I gain a lot more freedom as I've introduced more material I can reuse. You have to write dialogues that include what was presented earlier as well as present nice examples of the new material, so it's one of the hardest parts of creating a course and also one of the most important.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 167
26 September 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
You have to write dialogues that include what was presented earlier as well as present nice examples of the new material, so it's one of the hardest parts of creating a course and also one of the most important.

Indeed, that's one point most course writers are totally unaware of, Assimil being a remarkable exception. They just teach you everything you can find inside a kitchen at once, then never go back to any words related to plates, cups and forks again.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 8 of 167
26 September 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
I confirm, the dialogs are amazing, hilarious even at times. Assimil pales in comparison.
The explanations are spot on. I really enjoyed being a guinea pig and my only regret is
that I didn't have this course some years ago when I first became interested in
Québécois. Even with my previous exposure, I still learned a lot from it though.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version