bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 167
27 September 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Québécois is possibly my least favourite version of French, but congratulations on getting the book published, Arekkusu!

Tarvos, why not give the course a try? It might just change your mind...
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 167
27 September 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
I read the first chapter, actually. Québécois is simply not my thing. I have been to
Quebec and have heard and seen it online as well - I really simply don't like the sound
of it. But it's very good that this material is out there.

I simply prefer Belgian French.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 167
27 September 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I find Quebec French to be a bit like Australian English—I wouldn't personally call it beautiful, but it's fun to hear and it has a lot of character. This is, of course, a purely subjective judgement.

But my real motives for buying this course are simple: I know cool people in Quebec, and I'd love to explore the countryside a bit more. Now, English + intermediate French is more than enough to get by in Montreal and Quebec City. But when I start talking to people from Trois Rivières and other mid-size cities, I spend way too much time saying "Pardon?" So I've really been looking forward to a book with lots of listening exercises. And the French base is a real plus: It means that it's possible to cover the material very quickly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 20 of 167
27 September 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Personally, I find Quebec French to be a bit like Australian English—I wouldn't personally call it beautiful, but it's fun to hear and it has a lot of character. This is, of course, a purely subjective judgement.

But my real motives for buying this course are simple: I know cool people in Quebec, and I'd love to explore the countryside a bit more. Now, English + intermediate French is more than enough to get by in Montreal and Quebec City. But when I start talking to people from Trois Rivières and other mid-size cities, I spend way too much time saying "Pardon?" So I've really been looking forward to a book with lots of listening exercises. And the French base is a real plus: It means that it's possible to cover the material very quickly.

This kind of comment on the beauty of Québécois -- or lack thereof -- might offend some Québécois, but personally, I’m not longer concerned with this kind of perception because for everyone person who dislikes the accent, there is another who loves it – it's really very subjective. Instead, I’m concerned with the transmission of knowledge to those who need it and cannot find it. I’ll be really interested in hearing what kind of reaction you receive from the people you mention after you’ve done the course, or to what degree your comprehension has improved.

Edited by Arekkusu on 27 September 2012 at 8:34pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 167
27 September 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
This kind of comment how the beauty of Québécois -- or lack thereof -- might offend some Québécois, but personally, I’m not longer concerned with this kind of perception because for everyone person who dislikes the accent, there is another who loves it – it's really very subjective.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to offend anybody! It's rare that I find a dialect beautiful. Even the dialect of my childhood town sounds, by turns, colorful and nostalgic, and whatever beauty it possesses is a subtle thing.

Fortunately, Québécois is by no means ugly to my ear. It sounds friendly, a bit colorful (which is no bad thing) and largely pleasant to hear.

Arekkusu wrote:
Instead, I’m concerned with the transmission of knowledge to those who need it and cannot find it. I’ll be really interested in hearing what kind of reaction you receive from the people you mention after you’ve done the course, or to what degree your comprehension has improved.

Well, my big focus will be comprehension. I'd love to drag my listening skills up to a solid B1, and I expect that your book will be invaluable for that.

Baracuda
Groupie
United States
Joined 5564 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 22 of 167
28 September 2012 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Congrats Arekkusu!

Great to know there is a resource for Quebecois available. I'll be getting this book soon. Where does one get the recordings?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 23 of 167
28 September 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Baracuda wrote:
Congrats Arekkusu!

Great to know there is a resource for Quebecois available. I'll be getting this book
soon. Where does one get the recordings?

Thanks!

The book contains a link where they can be downloaded.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 24 of 167
30 September 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
There is now a Facebook page for the book:
Le québécois en 10 leçons

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version