Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

New course: Le québécois en 10 leçons

  Tags: Canada | Textbooks | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
167 messages over 21 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 20 21 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Senior Member
Canada
Joined 3596 days ago

2704 posts - 5424 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

 
 Message 57 of 167
24 October 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
It is true that the cultural background behind the words American and Québécois is entirely different. Americans have their own national language in all its glorious variations. A language where regional and social differences in language coexist under the same umbrella of American English.

Here in Quebec, we do not have our own national language. We still believe that proper French comes from France. This is "le français" or standard French.

But next to proper French we do have our own dialect. We call it le québécois a low-status variety of slang that is associated with traditional folklore and stereotypes.

This is nothing new. There is long tradition in Quebec of distinguishing between good and bad French. Le québécois is simply what used to be called bad French, joual or le canayen but now goes under a new more modern name. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I think the @Arekkusu's book is good and I have recommended it to my students. I tell them to keep in mind that québécois here is synonymous with slang. I disagree with the title but I recognize that it reflects the current situation of language politics in Quebec.




1 person has voted this message useful



Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Senior Member
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4636 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

 
 Message 58 of 167
24 October 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Tommus, I don't think that the book needs additional explanations, and similar efforts to
have study groups e. g. at Unilang have all had the same result: a lot of interest in the
first lesson, some interest in the second lesson, and then nobody remains as real-life
interferes.

What I could imagine is having a thread (maybe in the French subforum?) for people using
this book to comment, offer translations or alternative exercise solutions, ask questions
and the like. This should be student-led and I'm sure Arekkusu and other forum members
would be happy to help people progress in their study of Québécois.
3 persons have voted this message useful



Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Senior Member
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 3547 days ago

3971 posts - 7745 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

 
 Message 59 of 167
24 October 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Tommus, I don't think that the book needs additional explanations, and similar efforts to
have study groups e. g. at Unilang have all had the same result: a lot of interest in the
first lesson, some interest in the second lesson, and then nobody remains as real-life
interferes.

What I could imagine is having a thread (maybe in the French subforum?) for people using
this book to comment, offer translations or alternative exercise solutions, ask questions
and the like. This should be student-led and I'm sure Arekkusu and other forum members
would be happy to help people progress in their study of Québécois.

If anyone is working on the book and has questions, and wants to open such a thread, I will definitely answer all questions with diligence.
2 persons have voted this message useful



tommus
Senior Member
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4032 days ago

979 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

 
 Message 60 of 167
24 October 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Tommus, I don't think that the book needs additional explanations, and similar efforts to have study groups e. g. at Unilang have all had the same result: a lot of interest in the first lesson, some interest in the second lesson, and then nobody remains as real-life interferes.

It probably doesn't need additional explanations. But what the user of any book like this can use is a structured timetable to keep him/her on track and moving through the lessons, for the very reason you state. Yes. Maybe it should be in another part of the Forum. I think HTLAL should move a bit beyond the "How-to..." into the ..Learn.. There are only so many things people can continue to say about the "how-to" part, and then they start bickering over the most trivial issues. Why don't we use more of our energy on the "learn" part?




1 person has voted this message useful



Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Senior Member
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 3547 days ago

3971 posts - 7745 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

 
 Message 61 of 167
24 October 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
Tommus, I don't think that the book needs additional explanations, and similar efforts to have study groups e. g. at Unilang have all had the same result: a lot of interest in the first lesson, some interest in the second lesson, and then nobody remains as real-life interferes.

It probably doesn't need additional explanations. But what the user of any book like this can use is a structured timetable to keep him/her on track and moving through the lessons, for the very reason you state. Yes. Maybe it should be in another part of the Forum. I think HTLAL should move a bit beyond the "How-to..." into the ..Learn.. There are only so many things people can continue to say about the "how-to" part, and then they start bickering over the most trivial issues. Why don't we use more of our energy on the "learn" part?

Good point.
1 person has voted this message useful



patuco
Diglot
Moderator
Gibraltar
Joined 5181 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 62 of 167
24 October 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
I think HTLAL should move a bit beyond the "How-to..." into the ..Learn.. There are only so many things people can continue to say about the "how-to" part, and then they start bickering over the most trivial issues. Why don't we use more of our energy on the "learn" part?

In that case, the first thing that should be done is to start referring to the forum as LAL instead of HTLAL, although this might confuse Lakers fans.
1 person has voted this message useful



s_allard
Triglot
Senior Member
Canada
Joined 3596 days ago

2704 posts - 5424 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

 
 Message 63 of 167
25 October 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I certainly think that if many people spent more time studying languages instead of arguing about how to learn, they would probably be ahead. That said, I think it is always important to debate ideas, concepts, techniques and even terminology because those are the foundations of a scientific approach in any field of knowledge.

I'm always struck by how much here at HTLAL we tend to ignore the world of academic research into language acquisition. All over the world, there are thousands of researchers and professors who are looking at the same issues we debate but on a different scale.

We at HTLAL tend to think that learning a language in a classroom is a waste of time and we can do better on our own. And the academics tend to be amused by these self-learners who think they can buy a piece of software or a book and learn a language when in reality most self-learners give up very quickly.

Academics are very picky about terminology because that's what we use to convey concepts. Here at HTLAL we usually don't pay much attention to terminology because it seems to be splitting hairs or discussing trivia.

For example, I've been waging a running battle about the use of the word fluency for proficiency. Most people don't care and say, "s_allard, why are you getting your underwear tied in knots about this? Lighten up." Well, I don't really bother too much any more with most things because most people don't care if most debates never really get very far because very basic things like what does speaking a language mean are never really discussed in depth.
1 person has voted this message useful



microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Senior Member
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 3637 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

 
 Message 64 of 167
25 October 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think it is always important to debate ideas, concepts, techniques and even terminology because
those are the foundations of a scientific approach in any field of knowledge.

But this debate, however valuable could permanently hijack this thread ! Lets try to remember the thread title.


6 persons have voted this message useful



This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3438 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.