31 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 31
30 September 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
That's a great metaphor because animals won't grow faster just because you concentrate on one at a time. Same with plants. Of course if you've never had any, better start with just one or two, but with enough care and time there's no reason why you can't have many plants/animals/languages:)

But for some reason, anyone who's too busy for more than one pet or a handful of plants will just ask: how do you find enough time? not "but don't you get confused because different animals/plants require different care?"

The advantage of languages is that it's much easier to spend time with them wherever you are. Taking them along with you on a train is joy, not a hassle :D Well, now I know why I don't particularly care for animals or plants :D

Edited by Serpent on 30 September 2012 at 11:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5702 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 18 of 31
01 October 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
In the same metaphor..

I chase usually a bunch of rabbits at the same time... realising I can't catch a single one cause I'm out of breath I theb try to shoot them with a shotgun, completely obliterating them... still no proper rabbit for my stew... that's about it
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5467 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 31
01 October 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I saw a video on youtube recently by a very prolific video maker who has caught the language bug, and has stated his ambition to learn 100 languages. He spends hours a day switching between a large number of languages that he is studying at the same time. Now, my first reaction would be to tell him to focus on one at a time, but as I thought about it I realised that chasing all of these languages is exciting to him in a way that studying a single language would not be.

It reminds me of a friend in England who plays 32 different musical instruments, many of them very exotic instruments picked up on his world travels. He spends all his spare time studying and playing these diverse instruments, and loves every moment of it. He may never become a concert pianist, but if he were forced to focus on one instrument I imagine his passion would drop away and he would lose all interest in music.

For many, then, the journey is just as exciting as the destination, and I encourage them to follow their passion and enjoy every minute of it.

Edited by Splog on 01 October 2012 at 10:19pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 31
02 October 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
From the thread How fluent are polyglots?:

Iversen wrote:
The same thing seen from another angle: are those who advocate restricting oneself to 2-3 languages really so much better in those 2-3 languages than the polyglots are in their best 2-3 languages? Are the most stubborn monoglots really better in their only (sad and lonely) language than polyglots are in their native language?

And as for the music analogy Splog mentioned, I am the musician I am - not despite the (amount of) instruments I've devoted time to, but thanks to them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4242 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 21 of 31
02 October 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
The past 6 months I've been focusing on French & Mandarin. However, my Mandarin is much stronger and at the
level where I can pick out most of the phrases in a news report except for a few words in between. My French is way
below the conversation level although I am pass the basics: counting numbers, day of the week, month, telling time
but not comfortable conducting myself in public.

Personally I spend a lot of time watching Chinese language videos. Still picking up new vocabulary practically every
TV show I come across. The Chinese like to use a lot of 成語 (chéngyǔ) or 4-character phrases to show they're
educated. Besides learning the basics, it would take a whole year to learn the few hundred chéngyǔ phrases. Young
children started learning these in school and you see them used on TV and in movies. Most Chinese probably know
less than half of these.

What I'm finding with French is pronunciation. There are a lot of silent sounds and times when you'd hear 2 words
seemingly glued together because some of the consonants in between are not pronounced. Gets frustrating when
watching a movie in French and has to stop every few minutes to look up words. I don't have to do that with
Mandarin so most of the time I can be doing something on computer and listen to the radio at the same time.

Anyway, if you get into learning 2 totally unrelated language, it is best to focus on 1 for a few months, then give
that language a break and focus on the next. Instead of letting your first language slip, try to think in the first
language and use it in your head while learning the next.

Edited by shk00design on 02 October 2012 at 7:08am

Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4703 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 22 of 31
02 October 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
I can never settle to just one or two - I keep skipping about. I also don't have much time. Result: I learn almost nothing.

But I can't help the 'wanderlust'!

Edit: the thing is, I can pick up the grammar fairly quickly. It's the words I can never remember!

Edited by Deerhound on 02 October 2012 at 11:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 31
02 October 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Anyway, if you get into learning 2 totally unrelated language, it is best to focus on 1 for a few months, then give that language a break
Only if you need a break:)

Some of your recs are kinda vague... Just try to use L2-based resources for L3, including dictionaries. Helps you truly get used to L2 and to think directly in L3.
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 24 of 31
02 October 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Make a noise like a carrot, and the rabbits chase you.

[or... hare food]

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version