Triglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
28 September 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Did Assimil ever do any Portuguese course in French or Spanish language back in the
"without Toil" generation? If they did, what was the title?

steve
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 9
28 September 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
They did Le Portugais Sans Peine in a French base. You see it and the vinyl records
that come with it quite a lot on second hand sellers in Europe.

Edited by Elexi on 28 September 2012 at 7:01pm

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 9
28 September 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! This forum rocks. I already found the book on abebooks; now if I can only find
the audio...

steve

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4303 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 4 of 9
28 September 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
What amazes me regarding second hand copies of any of the old courses with records on ebay is that the sellers sell them at a set price instead of auction, and all seem to believe that they are worth US$50-$60, despite the fact most users would then have to go the trouble of converting old vinyl to digital. Even if the records are in pristine condition the price seems not worth it. Maybe they believe people collect such old courses as mere interior decoration.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5072 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 5 of 9
29 September 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
There was also a German version of the old course (first line "O livro é caro.") which used to be in print at least through the 1980s, the title was Portugiesisch ohne Mühe (as opposed to the newer course which they called 'Portugiesisch ohne Mühe HEUTE').

The audio should be the same for all international editions within each 'generation', so this is another source to look for. It was later reissued on tapes, either together with the course book, or separately as a 3-cassette box titled O português sem custo.

This was incidentally the last Assimil course that was done by A. Chérel himself, written on location near Lisbon around 1954, if we can believe the official Assimil history.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4361 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 9
29 September 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
What amazes me regarding second hand copies of any of the old courses
with records on ebay is that the sellers sell them at a set price instead of auction, and
all seem to believe that they are worth US$50-$60, despite the fact most users would then
have to go the trouble of converting old vinyl to digital. Even if the records are in
pristine condition the price seems not worth it. Maybe they believe people collect such
old courses as mere interior decoration.

It isn't totally unheard of to have a record-player. I do and so do several people I
know. They still sell them new, though you have to look around a bit. I'd think that the
sort of people interested in buying language courses from the 50's would be more likely
than most to have one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 9
29 September 2012 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:

It isn't totally unheard of to have a record-player. I do and so do several people I
know. They still sell them new, though you have to look around a bit. I'd think that the
sort of people interested in buying language courses from the 50's would be more likely
than most to have one.

Not only that, but there are several companies out there that sell USB turntables fairly
cheap, and some have SD card slots, so you can record directly from vinyl to SD card. No
computer needed for the conversion.

R.
==

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4303 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 8 of 9
29 September 2012 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
My comment was actually more directed to the price range at which sellers are listing these old vinyl courses, and for set prices and not auctions, and not how few people have turntables now.

The internet economy is a funny thing, and while many have decried a race to the bottom type of cutthroat price competition, when it comes to used items the mantra from sellers seems to be price it a little under the higher price. So by that methodology, someone mistyping and setting a price of US$500 would be followed by other sellers setting it at $490 because they don't know any better. And ebay's transition (by their own admission/intention) from an auction site to a set-price online store fuels this phenomenon.

Naturally I am partly complaining because I have been used to getting such second hand goods on the cheap for so long :).

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version