Joined 4193 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishC2, PortugueseC1
Studies: Czech, German

Message 73 of 99
30 October 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Course: French with Ease

Estimated Start Date: November 5th

Prior experience with this language: zero (learned it as a kid for 5 months)

Any outside resources you might use: not planned

Why you chose this language: By process of elimination, I would have chosen Catalan but Assimil has no courses
from English

Personal Predictions: B2 or not :) probably A1 in reading/writing, worried about the oral skills.
1 person has voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5637 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 74 of 99
31 October 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi, after reading the rules again, I think I will choose Czech for this experiment

Course: Le tchèque sans peine

Estimated Start Date: 1st November

Prior experience with this language: 95 hours of active study with Hugo's Czech in 3
months and Teach yourself Czech

Any outside resources you might use: Maybe Youtube and Czech: an essential grammar (for
referencing)

Why you chose this language: I love Slavic languages! And Czech women are beautiful!

Personal Predictions: Since I already have a head start that almost disqualify me from
registering this language, I will likely hit at least the B1 level. Hopefully, it is
good enough for me to tackle native materials by then.

Other languages: Serbian/Croatian (6WC), Russian and Japanese. French and German will
be maintained passively.

Edited by QiuJP on 31 October 2012 at 4:42pm

Aelstome
Triglot
United States
Joined 4270 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Irish
Studies: Japanese, German, Russian, Mandarin

Message 75 of 99
31 October 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Course: Russian with Ease (2011)

Estimated Start Date: November 1

Prior experience with this language: Less than 50 hours just messing around with it.

Any outside resources you might use: Speaking with natives.

Why you chose this language: It's been on my list for a while now, so it seemed like a good opportunity.

Personal Predictions: I'd like to hopefully get to A2, but we'll see.

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 76 of 99
31 October 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Course: Russian with Ease (2011)

Estimated Start Date: November 15~

Prior experience with this language: I've spent maybe a couple of hours trying to learn
the alphabet, but I can't even remember that now!

Any outside resources you might use: Memrise/Anki to practice the alphabet at the
beginning.

Why you chose this language: I've wanted to learn Russian for a good few years, and
this seemed like the best time :)

Personal Predictions: I'd like to get to A2; if I get to B1 I'll be very impressed.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5129 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 77 of 99
31 October 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Course: Dronov et al., Il nuovo russo senza sforzo, Italian edition of Le Nouveau Russe sans peine

Estimated Start Date: November 1st

Prior experience with this language: None

Any outside resources you might use: Probably none. But perhaps in the first couple of weeks I might use online resources to familiarize myself with the cyrillic alphabet and Russian pronunciation if I find that Assimil isn't very helpful.

Why you chose this language: I think kanewai's original idea was to use the experiment to try out one of our side or wish-list languages, not one of our main target languages, and Russian fits the bill perfectly for me.

Personal Predictions: I'm aware that I am at high risk of dropping out without finishing the experiment, but I think that the drop out rate of the participants could be one of the interesting data we can derive from this experiment. If I stick to the plan to the end, I would be more than satisfied if I reach the A2 level in the next six months, as Russian is more difficult than any of the languages I've studied so far.

Edited by Emme on 31 October 2012 at 9:56pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 78 of 99
01 November 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Hrm. Must I choose only one?

Course:: Le Portugais du Brésil
Estimated Start Date:: November 2
Prior experience with this language:: Similar to Spanish and French. I have a lot of Brazilian friends from work, and I Facebook spy on them a lot. :)
Any outside resources you might use:: Music, Facebook friends, Anki (maybe)
Why you chose this language:: It's one of three. It chose me. :)
Personal Predictions:: I would guess maybe B1 if I stick solely with Assimil. I will be doing two lessons a day until I hit the active wave, so for about 3-4 weeks. After that, I will (probably?) slow down to one lesson a day and proceed as "normal." =)

Course:: Le Croate
Estimated Start Date:: November 5
Prior experience with this language:: Lots of false starts, lots of Bosnian friends.
Any outside resources you might use:: Music, movies, Facebook friends, Anki. Unlikely, but possilbe - Colloquial Croatian
Why you chose this language:: Lots of Bosnian friends. Like Portuguese, it chose me. :)
Personal Predictions:: It's my fist Slavic language, and I will be happy if I can get to a passive B1 and active A2.

Course:: Le Turc Sans Peine
Estimated Start Date:: November 5
Prior experience with this language:: A few false starts, Turkish dramas. :)
Any outside resources you might use:: Anki, Turkish dramas
Why you chose this language:: Turkish dramas
Personal Predictions:: This is the last language on my Super Challenge list, and I really want to do more than just watch dramas to fulfill my challenge. If I can get to passive B1 or A2, I will be flying high. :)

Other languages:: I will be focusing on reading (for the Super Challenge) for Spanish, grammar and audio for French, and finishing Assimil for Italian - I'm on lesson 60 now. I want to add German and Korean into the mix, but there are only 24 hours in a day. But I have Assimil courses for both of them, just in case. =)

I would like to invite everyone to join us on the Consistency Log to see how many of us are keeping up with a lesson a day. :)

EDIT: The Portuguese course has only five or six lines per lesson (at least at the beginning). I'll probably be doing more than 2 lessons a day at the beginning. I don't know if it will actually "count" for this experiment, but I will report on it anyways, in case anyone else is interested in the course.

Edited by Kerrie on 01 November 2012 at 5:37pm

Tuco
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 4294 days ago

17 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French

Message 79 of 99
01 November 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
@Kerrie: don't you get all those similar languages mixed up in your head? When I tried
studying Spanish and Italian at the same time it was a disaster!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 80 of 99
01 November 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Tuco wrote:
@Kerrie: don't you get all those similar languages mixed up in your head? When I tried
studying Spanish and Italian at the same time it was a disaster!

Not really. I started learning them at different times, so they're all at different levels.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version