Groupie
United States
Joined 4523 days ago

65 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 9 of 99
02 October 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Sorry, didn't read the rules, please delete.

Edited by Chris Ford on 02 October 2012 at 9:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4863 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 10 of 99
02 October 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Course: French With Ease

Estimated Start Date: From November

Prior experience with this language: None, except for phrases from films, etc. (Bonjour, s'il vous plait, etc.)

Any outside resources you might use: After Assimil I'll use other resources for strengthening and building on the foundation I get with Assimil, but not really while I'm still using Assimil. While studying Assimil, I'll use a phrase book, a dictionary, a grammar, and as much input (films, radio, etc) as I can fit in.

Why you chose this language: I've always wanted to learn French. It's beautiful, useful, and practical. I'm joining this experiment because I want to see if I can get a good grounding in French using Assimil for half an hour a day (and extra on weekends). I'm busy enough with other languages, university subjects, and work, but I want to see if Assimil's claims are true.

Personal Predictions: If I promise myself to study Assimil at least half an hour every day, at the end of six months, I may not be able to converse fluently, but I predict I'll have a sound understanding of French, an ability to understand. And I'll have a solid foundation to work with, and can spend the next six months adding to it.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5662 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 11 of 99
02 October 2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Course: Chinese With Ease (Vol 1 and 2)

Estimated Start Date: Nov 1st

Prior experience with this language: Very little. A few ChinesePod.com lessons. And I do know some of the characters (the meaning, anyway) from learning the Kanji for Japanese.

Any outside resources you might use: A grammar reference for more detailed explanation of the grammar points. Maybe a book for learning some of the characters too.

Why you chose this language: Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Korean are 1a, 1b and 1c on the list of languages I want to learn. I've already put in a good deal of work into Japanese and Korean, so that left Chinese for this.

Personal Predictions: I doubt it'll get me to even an A2 level, let alone B1. I just hope that I attune my ears to the sounds of the language, that I learn to speak the tones well and that I learn a lot of the characters. I suspect that I'll need to go through the course at least once more afterwards to really absorb most of it.

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4685 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 12 of 99
02 October 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Course: Italienisch ohne Mühe heute

Estimated Start Date: ~ 08 November

Prior experience with this language: I (= language book hoarder) have some old textbooks/bilingual short stories and once in a while I read in them, but I never really studied Italian, so apart from greetings and suchlike phrases no "real" prior knowledge (not even basic tourist survival level...)

Any outside resources you might use: A grammar and a dictionary (just in case), music (as Italian music is already on my MP3 player I'll continue listening to it), maybe podcasts

Why you chose this language: I thought I pick a "normal" language for a change ;-)
One that doesn't cause questions like: Is that a real language? Where is it spoken? Why would one want to learn that?
I thought about choosing Spanish where I'd be a false beginner (but only around A1 as I forgot most of it), but as I've just started Portuguese I thought Italian would be the safer option for the experiment.

Personal Predictions: Hm, I hope I end up with a passive B1/active (strong) A2 at least. I'll test this either with natives here in Luxembourg or (if I find a good offer) a short trip (perhaps a long weekend?) to Italy next summer.

Other languages I'll do informally: I'll continue my other languages (French (Assimil + native materials), European Portuguese (Assimil), Kurdish, Luxembourgish, Armenian (Assimil + other textbooks) and Welsh) in my own slow pace. Focus is on French as I need it.

Edited by Mani on 03 October 2012 at 8:55am

Goindol
United States
Joined 5854 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 13 of 99
02 October 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Russian (Le Russe, 2008 edition)

Estimated Start Date: November 30, to give myself more time to Italian before starting a new language

Prior experience with this language: None

Any outside resources you might use: I'll try to seek help from Russians in my area

Why you chose this language: My community has many Russian immigrants, and I would like to better
communicate
with them

Personal Predictions: Higher end of A1? It will be a low stress endeavor, and I'll try to learn as much as I can.

Other languages I'll do informally: Italian, French

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 99
02 October 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Course: Le Nouveau Russe Sans Peine (or its Italian edition if I find it again).

Estimated Start Date: November 1st

Prior experience with this language: A couple of lessons from the same book and from Russian without toil

Any outside resources you might use: Online translators and something on handwriting.

Why you chose this language: It's my doorkey to other slavic languages and a path to resources covering minor ex-USSR languages.

Personal predictions: I would have to start Russian sooner or later, so, better take the chance. I think this time I'll do it right, I'll use audio. I hope to be quick with this book and then move on to Russian without toil or Le Russe.

Other languages I'll do informally: I'll keep doing Mandarin Chinese, Georgian and Norwegian (the latter with Assimil). Russian will replace French, but risks being replaced by Spanish after the challenge.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6318 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 15 of 99
02 October 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Course: Italian with Ease

Estimated Start Date: Nov 15th

Prior experience: none

Any outside sources: I'll cross that bridge

Why this language: no particular reason

Predictions: I'll be able to say things that are related to the course lessons with an American accent

Other languages I'll do informally: working through a French textbook, audiobooks, and homework assignments

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 99
02 October 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
The day the Cantonese course is out, I'm looking forward to taking part in the challenge. I can't guarantee that I'll stick to the passive->active wave method, though.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version