melkior79
Japan
Joined 4390 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 49 of 99
20 October 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I just put my order in for New French with Ease!! I am getting excited now.

It will come in a couple of days, as it seems that French with Ease is in warehouse here.I ordered it from the Japanese Amazon site.
I found that there were 4 highly positive reviews from Japanese, who used Assmil French from an English base

I was surprised because I didn't think Assimil would be popular here at all. I work at a foreign language university and there are no Assimil texts in the library, although a few teach yourself and colloquial, as well as a massive amount of material in Japanese.

I also had a chat with a Japanese French teacher (we talked in Japanese ) and I told him of my plan to study Assimil.He hadn't heard of Assimil. I said that after I finish the challenge I hope we can have some conversation in French!

1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5020 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 50 of 99
21 October 2012 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
This Assimil Experiment is going to be the most interesting ever... here is my contribution:

Course: Russisch ohne Mühe (German edition of 'Le Russe sans peine', 1971 version)

Estimated Start Date: November 12

Prior experience with this language: Practically none. Studied the introductory chapter and the first couple of lessons of this course earlier though.

Any outside resources you might use: (a) additional Internet resources for learning Cyrillic script; (b) an old pronunciation/phonetics 45 record that illustrates the individual sounds of the language; (c) reference materials (bird's eye grammar, dictionary)

Why you chose this language: Got away with doing a lot of stuff on Polish, Russian, Siberian etc. history in college without knowing any Eastern European language, because formally I studied in a different department, hence it was not required. Want to make up for this now since Russian is an intriguing language and almost as weird as the country.

Personal Predictions: This is a dense course. If I manage to stay consistent, adding one new lesson per day and later on include the active wave, I hope to finish the course by the end of April. After this I may turn to other materials in order to solidify what I have learnt with Assimil.

Other languages: If time permits I may work on one or two (Spanish, French) alongside Russian, but not with Assimil.

Chang He
United States
Joined 4203 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 51 of 99
21 October 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Excellent! I just found out about Assimil through this forum a few weeks ago. Anxious to give it a try, and hopefully
the group motivation will help. So here's my plan.

Course: New French with Ease

Estimated Start Date: November 1. Let's do this.

Prior experience with this language: Limited. I almost finished Pimsleur 1 a few
years ago. No study in it since.

Any outside resources you might use: I have the old 1940 French without Toil,
and may try them concurrently. I've read the debates about which is better, and the posts here from people who
seem to share my learning style seem to favor the older version. But the audio sounds much more stilted. We'll see.

Why you chose this language: French is widely used across Europe and Africa,
and my work may bring me to both places in the near future. Additionally, I have a few French-speaking family
members and want to perpetuate the tradition.

Personal Predictions: This will be tough. I'm finishing some post-graduate
training as a physician, so this will function as a study break from the hard science I work with most evenings. I
hope the claims are right and with 30-45 minutes per day I can get a solid base to work from going forward.

Other languages: None. I won't have time. I'm putting my Japanese and Russian
studies on hold for a while. Japanese was always a long-term project, and Russian was mostly because I felt guilty
about dropping it after college.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 52 of 99
22 October 2012 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
I may regret this, seeing as I'm already crazily busy, but I can't resist signing up for this. Here we go!

Course: Norwegisch ohne Mühe

Estimated Start Date: November 1

Prior experience with this language: I know "Jeg" means "I" and "ikke" means "no"...

Any outside resources you might use: only native audio (podcasts, radio, music) to help pin down the pronunciation

Why you chose this language: I've never yet tried one from the Scandinavian family, and I think Norwegian sounds adorable.

Personal Predictions: I hope to be a solid B1 by the end of the course. (Would aim higher, due to my knowledge of German, but studying four/five other languages and working full-time will make it a miracle if I even manage to stick with NO at all.)

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4283 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 53 of 99
22 October 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Current tendency towards target languages : Languages in alphabetic order.

Up-to-date : 28th October

Ancient Greek : Kanewai
Breton: tarvos
Catalan : Flarioca
Chinese : sabotai, jingwumaster (maybe), oruixo13
Dutch : Marishka
Egyptian : BartoG
French: July , pfn123, melkior79, slidemasterx, aspiringplygot, fabriciocarraro,
FireViN, Vārds , jeronz , Tuco , Chang He,
German : fireballtrouble
Hungarian : nuriayasmin70
Italian : Mani , Kugel, songlines, Laurae, JohannaNYC
Japanese : ayrrom
Latin : Boomerang3378
Norwegian : Serpent , agantik, Jinx, Yuhakko
Persian : Tadeo, markustein69
Polish : Tcham , overscore
Russian: Goindol , Slothrop, sillygoose1 , Kronos, Expugnator
Spanish : cheerbelle7, jingwumaster (probably), puffin1981
Swedish : Cavesa
Tamil : seldnar
Turkish : rahdonit
Vietnamese : Bao, shiningstars

Edited by fireballtrouble on 28 October 2012 at 10:44am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 54 of 99
22 October 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm not doing Italian this time, I'm doing Russian =D I'll just alternate between source in French and a source in Italian

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4283 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 55 of 99
22 October 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator

Edited.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 99
22 October 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
And I'm not in at all (as I stated last week), since the Cantonese course won't be around until the end of 2013.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version