Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 27
03 October 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
montmorency wrote:
So, is that how they shave you in a modern barber's? I was expecting to see the whole leather strop and cut-throat routine. (Probably can't do it in the UK any more because of Elf and Safety, but I thought they were more "relaxed" about that sort of thing east of the Oder :)).

Actually my father had a chat about just this topic with his hairdresser this week. He was told that there is absolutely no one asking for this type of shaving anymore, with the Aids hysteria about unsterile blades etc. having strongly contributed to it. But he added that quite a number of young people are now returning to this method when they shave at home. It's considerably cheaper than buying new plastic thingies all the time.

Who knows, maybe Monty Python were also responsible for the shift away from open blades, due to their infamous Mad Barber sketch. ;)

The most elaborate treatment of this issue is, of course, the Parable of the Razor by our good professor Arguelles.

montmorency wrote:
On pushing his Golden List method, he doesn't make any money out of that, does he (or does he?) (How does he earn a crust, as a matter of interest?). If not, then if he is pushing it in his various vids, it's just a public service, sort of thing, not spam.

Huliganov's method is all for free, and there is nothing to say against it except that the missionary zeal he puts behind it can be taxing at times. He is a chartered accountant based in Warsaw and also in Prague. Some of his videos are nice travel vlogs, usually filmed while commuting or during breaks. He also lived in Russia for some years.

Thanks. Actually, I just watched that video all the way through, and he mentioned his profession, and indeed, he looks just like a chartered accountant (Monty Python could have had some fun with that :) ).

I'd only heard a description of the Goldlist Method from someone else, who was a fan, but who wasn't able to describe it adequately, and without meaning to, he rather put me off it. Now I'm itching to try it myself.   Learning a word in 3 iterations sounds optimistic, but I'll try not to prejudge it. As it is, I use "manual" (paper and/or card, and hardback books) already, so it "speaks to my condition". I'll have a look at some more of his stuff.

Thanks for bringing him to my attention, and reminding me about the Goldlist Method!

1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 27
03 October 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Any other frauds out there people? I remember a guy that was trying to say something like "good morning" in 120
different languages. Can't find it, but would love the link here.
Ziad Fazah
Valera

Edited by Wulfgar on 06 October 2012 at 8:06am

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 27
03 October 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Hmm...this guy is a total fraud
How to say hello in 30 languages

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 27
03 October 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fraud.' Two of the videos you linked to are comedy sketches, and one was a
very eccentric but seemingly honest accountant (who, for all we know, could be on HTLAL).

Fraud is a pretty harsh accusation - to me it implies deliberate, and perhaps criminal, misconduct.
7 persons have voted this message useful

t123
Diglot
South Africa
https://github.com/t
Joined 5371 days ago

139 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans

Message 13 of 27
03 October 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Fraud? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 14 of 27
03 October 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Any other frauds out there people?

Why do you keep insisting on using the word "fraud"? You must see that it doesn't apply to most of the people you've mentioned.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5429 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 27
03 October 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Well, the thread started out nicely enough, with a list of people who are imitating foreign accents in their native language.

Later posts in the thread, though, have included people whose abilities have been made fun of from time to time in other threads. This shift in the spirit of this thread is one I am not very comfortable with.

Edited by Splog on 03 October 2012 at 3:52pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 16 of 27
03 October 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Any other frauds out there people? I remember a guy that was trying to say something like "good morning" in 120
different languages. Can't find it, but would love the link here.
Ziad Fazah
Chezrocksall
Valera

Putting Huliganov and our Cesare in the same category "fraud" is either malicious or incompetent. Are you angry because his Russian is so much better than yours will ever be? This is lowest level, sorry.

Edited by lingoleng on 03 October 2012 at 3:29pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version