Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Turkish
Studies: Finnish, German, French

Message 18 of 27
03 October 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
My girlfriend is a native Russian speaker who deals with languages every day (she is an interpreter) and said that Huliganov's Russian accent (when speaking Russian) is the best she has ever heard from a non-native. It took her a while to be convinced that he, in fact, is not a native Russian speaker!

And referring to a comment a while back, she found him speaking with a Russian accent in English hilarious!
6 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 27
03 October 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
bob_26782 wrote:

And referring to a comment a while back, she found him speaking with a Russian accent in English hilarious!

He explains a bit more about why he does that on his blog. I think he's pretty genuine, and the name attributed to him in the title of this thread seems wholly unwarranted. Having said that, I did start to think of him as "Michel Thomas meets Sacha Baron-Cohen". :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 27
04 October 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
When this thread was created I had the option of closing it down on the spot (or one of my moderator collegues might have done it), but I decided to let it live because I expected that it would develop into a thread about people who deliberately speak in an assumed accent for humoristical or pedagogical purposes. and I don't remember that we have had such a thread so that would be relevant. Furthermore the comments have amply demonstrated that the word 'fraud' was totally undeserved in the case of Huliganov and probably also Ken Tanaka. So to make the thread acceptable in a forum like HTLAL I have changed the title from "YouTube Polyglot Frauds" to "Assumed accents on Youtube" ("'fake' accent would have had the same factual meaning, but less salubrious connotations).

Edited by Iversen on 04 October 2012 at 12:51pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 21 of 27
04 October 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
But with KT's fake Japaneesee accent in mind it is obvious that this is a joke. And a joker is not the same as a fraudster.

Iversen, KT's Japanese accent is very realistic. Remove the video and I'm sure you'd fool a lot of people.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 27
05 October 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
I'm sure KT's assumed accent is realistic, just as Huliganov's Russian one is. I used the word 'fake' because KT obviously isn't Japanese, but the end effect is hilarious and therefore I hesitate to change it into "assumed", which is a fairly neutral word (unfortunately with a second meaning which isn't relevant here, but at least is neutral too). If anybody has a better formulation they are welcome to propose it, but due to my limited English vocabulary I haven't been able to find some suitable adjectival term dangling precisely in the middle of the pitch dark void between "fake" and "assumed".
1 person has voted this message useful

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4389 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 23 of 27
05 October 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
If I make an effort to "act" like a native speaker, am I a fraud or simply pronouncing the language as my interlocutors would expect to hear it pronounced?
3 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 24 of 27
05 October 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
If I make an effort to "act" like a native speaker, am I a fraud or simply pronouncing the language as my interlocutors would expect to hear it pronounced?

I believe it depends on the intention in real life. From what I have read Wulfgar does not distinguish the difference between the people who are using comedy sketches to the people who have had dubious reputation from this forum. It would be similar to calling actors who use different dialects frauds, as they are not really native speakers.

One could go even further and point out all actors are frauds, as they are not really what they portray in the films. (Ex. profession, nationality, aliens)
I am sure this sounds ridiculous, but this is how I am interpreting the posts from Wulfgar.

Wulfgar,

Can you clarify your meaning of fraud and your intentions in this thread?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version