Joined 4430 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 27
06 October 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Cute fraud:
The girl who can speak 20 languages

lingoleng wrote:
Putting Huliganov and our Cesare in the same category "fraud" is either malicious or
incompetent.

fixed

alang wrote:

Wulfgar,

Can you clarify your meaning of fraud and your intentions in this thread?

All have made false claims designed to fool others, and are therefore frauds. For the sake of this thread, and the
dictionary. It doesn't matter if it was intended to be funny, draw attention, improve popularity, etc.

My intention - to entertain myself.

Edited by Wulfgar on 07 October 2012 at 8:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 26 of 27
08 October 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
My intention - to entertain myself

to the detriment of others ?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 27
08 October 2012 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
If I make an effort to "act" like a native speaker, am I a fraud or simply pronouncing the language as my interlocutors would expect to hear it pronounced?

The implication would be that anyone who speaks well enough to fool a native speaker (or for that matter a good nonnative speaker) is a fraud. Is that how we want to see the best language learners?

Actually the original message in this thread illustrated people who made a point of speaking their own language with a foreign accent - and who by common consent are quite good at it. For me even this is an accomplishment, as long as they leave enough clues to let me discover the real situation.

I reserve the word "fraud" for those who falsely claim to possess a certain skill at a high level ... but in practice we can only use the word about those who are dumb enough to let themselves be tested.

Edited by Iversen on 08 October 2012 at 1:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version