27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4451 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 27
02 October 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Some of the most interesting, funnest polyglot videos on YouTube are made by frauds. And often they are quite
useful to a learner. Please post links to them
here.

Hulliganov
Ken Tanaka

Edited by Wulfgar on 02 October 2012 at 7:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 27
02 October 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
The one word I can't accept in the message above is "fraud". I didn't know about Ken Tanaka before I saw this video and read the comment below it, including the passage "I am happy if you find this funny, but it is not just a joke. It is also a serious Japanese lesson". But with KT's fake Japaneesee accent in mind it is obvious that this is a joke. And a joker is not the same as a fraudster.

The reference to Huliganov is even more misleading (or something worse than that). I won't attempt to assess his Russian level because it clearly is higher than mine, but his immense course system at Youtube does show a high degree of involvement with the language. And he has on his homepage http://huliganov.tv/ and in the messages from his brief visits here shown an extensive knowledge about linguistical subjects, so the term 'fraud' is absolutely not warranted here.

I could have deleted the thread, but decided after some deliberation to keep it because it is worth pointing out that language videos can be fun - although those made by people without any real knowledge are more likely to be pathetic than fun.

Edited by Iversen on 03 October 2012 at 2:25pm

13 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5041 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 27
02 October 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I admit that after watching several of Huliganov's videos (rather casually) a few years back I was shocked when I eventually realised that he is actually an Englishman. If 'fraud' could be replaced with 'impersonator' I would agree.

The idea to mimic a Russian speaker is not all that bad.

About Huliganov's linguistic skills there can be no doubt. Here is a TV interview with him speaking Polish. It used to be online at a different URL and gathered hundreds of (mostly positive) comments, but eventually disappeared. Later someone put it up again. I also sent another video of his to a friend of mine who is Polish, and she said his level is near-native.

He has written a lot about himself in various places. The impression I got is that he is (highly) fluent in about half a dozen languages (Polish, Russian and German being his strongest ones, apart from English), at an intermediate level in about another half dozen, and has basic knowledge in yet another dozen, both living and dead languages. It should be noted that he studied languages at Cambridge University before becoming a businessman.

There may be some self-promotion involved in the claim to "know 20 languages", having to do with pushing his Goldlist method, but about his overall excellence in languages and linguistics I have little doubt. At least his Polish is a hundred times better than mine. :)
9 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4608 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 27
02 October 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Found these comments on one of his videos:

Quote:

lol WTF why u a teacher but have this terrible accent????

Akulina87 10 months ago

I'm teaching Russian here so I am giving English speaking people an idea of how they need to change their voice in order not to have too strong an English accent when speaking Russian. Playing with accents is a good way to get a better accent in your target languages. If you want a British accent, then you'll have to watch other videos on my channel. That could even be quite good for your English study as my usual voice is not far off RP.

usenetposts in reply to Akulina87 10 months ago

Sounds weird to me. Maybe he was going for the Michel Thomas vibe ... use a thick Slavic accent when giving your instructions in English ...

hmm...

I'd love to know what Russian native speakers make of his accent when speaking Russian. There is probably some method in his apparent madness of using that accent ... giving English native speakers some idea of the degree to which they have to alter their accent, but I think if I were a Russian native speaker, I'd be a bit insulted.

Surely a more honest approach would be to get his students to listen to loads of native input to work out how a Russian accent should sound ... when speaking Russian.

To use a British figure of speech (different country, different accent...), we are almost in "Allo Allo" territory here.

Englishman teaching Russian in a Russian accent

Edit: The KT one is indeed very funny. I almost ignored it, but I'm glad I didn't. I hope too many Japanese were not offended by it though.

Edited by montmorency on 02 October 2012 at 11:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5041 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 

Message 5 of 27
03 October 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
I also sent another video of his to a friend of mine who is Polish, and she said his level is near-native.

That was actually this one. If you happen to be in Warsaw and need a haircut, here is what you get at Salon Hest, Aleje Jerozolimskie, where this video was taken. Funny and relaxing, and by the time his beard is half off he actually looks like a Pole (says my friend).

Although I have to say, the original beard was quite becoming.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4608 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 6 of 27
03 October 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
Kronos wrote:
I also sent another video of his to a friend of mine who is Polish, and she said his level is near-native.

That was actually this one. If you happen to be in Warsaw and need a haircut, here is what you get at Salon Hest, Aleje Jerozolimskie, where this video was taken. Funny and relaxing, and by the time his beard is half off he actually looks like a Pole (says my friend).

Although I have to say, the original beard was quite becoming.

Agree with you about the beard.

He has a worrying resemblance to my brother-in-law though!

So, is that how they shave you in a modern barber's? I was expecting to see the whole leather strop and cut-throat routine. (Probably can't do it in the UK any more because of Elf and Safety, but I thought they were more "relaxed" about that sort of thing east of the Oder :)).

On pushing his Golden List method, he doesn't make any money out of that, does he (or does he?) (How does he earn a crust, as a matter of interest?). If not, then if he is pushing it in his various vids, it's just a public service, sort of thing, not spam.

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4608 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 7 of 27
03 October 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
This is in English.

Quite interesting.

Uncle Davey lecturing on the Goldlist Method

Edit: And Here is part 1 of the "Russian" version.

Part 2

Edit: And unknown to me, the man is a member, and has posted on the subject:

Huliganov on the Goldlist Method

In my defence (of my ignorance), this was before I joined the forum. However, I could have looked at the member list, and/or done a forum search a bit sooner.

Seems people were trying it, and not having much success. He posted, and was getting a bit of a hard time from some members (including some who hadn't tried it...), but then later, other people were having success. Then it went quiet. Havn't yet looked to see if there is anything more recent on the subject here.

Edited by montmorency on 04 October 2012 at 1:56am

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5041 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 

Message 8 of 27
03 October 2012 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
So, is that how they shave you in a modern barber's? I was expecting to see the whole leather strop and cut-throat routine. (Probably can't do it in the UK any more because of Elf and Safety, but I thought they were more "relaxed" about that sort of thing east of the Oder :)).

Actually my father had a chat about just this topic with his hairdresser this week. He was told that there is absolutely no one asking for this type of shaving anymore, with the Aids hysteria about unsterile blades etc. having strongly contributed to it. But he added that quite a number of young people are now returning to this method when they shave at home. It's considerably cheaper than buying new plastic thingies all the time.

Who knows, maybe Monty Python were also responsible for the shift away from open blades, due to their infamous Mad Barber sketch. ;)

The most elaborate treatment of this issue is, of course, the Parable of the Razor by our good professor Arguelles.

montmorency wrote:
On pushing his Golden List method, he doesn't make any money out of that, does he (or does he?) (How does he earn a crust, as a matter of interest?). If not, then if he is pushing it in his various vids, it's just a public service, sort of thing, not spam.

Huliganov's method is all for free, and there is nothing to say against it except that the missionary zeal he puts behind it can be taxing at times. He is a chartered accountant based in Warsaw and also in Prague. Some of his videos are nice travel vlogs, usually filmed while commuting or during breaks. He also lived in Russia for some years.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version