4 persons have voted this message useful

Rocco
United States
Joined 4193 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 9
16 November 2012 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Merci mille fois pour le partagez avec nous. Je viens de télécharger l'appli "Aegisub" pour lire les fiches de sous-
titres sans télécharger des vidéos.
1 person has voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4116 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 3 of 9
18 March 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I have never been more discouraged in studing something than when I look for subtitles on French titles. It might be comming from America where subtitles seem ubiquitous, sometimes you can find them on a show that came out just that night. And growning up watching anime which has a fansub community that is sometimes better than the profesional subs.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
18 March 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:
I have never been more discouraged in studing something than when I look for subtitles on French titles. It might be comming from America where subtitles seem ubiquitous, sometimes you can find them on a show that came out just that night. And growning up watching anime which has a fansub community that is sometimes better than the profesional subs.

Yeah, the lack of French subtitles is vastly irritating at the intermediate level. Fortunately, almost anything released in France in the last couple of years will often have good French subs.

Since I made this post, we've been working to build a list of French movies and series with accurate subs. I guarantee that if you work through one or two of the longer TV series on this list (and do an equivalent amount of reading), you'll get to point where you can watch a huge number of shows without subs, and you'll be able to learn lots of stuff just through context.

French movies and series like Engrenages may take a bit longer. I still struggle with both.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 9
18 March 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Je crois que ce que j'utilise le plus souvent ne soit pas là:

TV Subtitles

Heureusement, depuis ma deuxième série j'ai décidé d'abandonner les sous-titres, et ça marche bien jusqu'ici :)

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4968 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
18 March 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how accurate the subtitles are, but here's a site with the French language transcripts for The Simpsons:
www.simpsonspark.com/scripts/scripts_list.php

Seasons 1-18 are complete, the ones after that less so.

Found via Language Dojo.

twopossums
United States
Joined 4116 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 7 of 9
19 March 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
There is also this great site http://www.hypnoweb.net/liste-series.2.18/ But they are transcripts and not actual subtitles. Which is great but not as easy as kicking back on the couch.

I was reading one of emk;s posts and he mentioned Ulysse 31 and I had never seen this show before. It's all on Youtube. If I had seen this when I was a kid it would have blown my mind. Alas no subtitles or transcripts that I could find. But I am happy. Even at my early stage of development I was able to understand every tenth word or so and that was enough to get what was going on. Although that kid really sounds like a girl and it was tripping me up. I was like I'm sure he said fils and not fille.

Still my plan is to make maybe a parallel text of a series and then study that then watch the show. I don't know I'll have to try some different techniques. I'm also thinking it might be good to rip the episodes audio to mp3 then study that almost like it's Assimil.

Somebody here mentioned a program that would synch up two text files but I can't find it anywhere.

Edited by twopossums on 19 March 2013 at 1:10am

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4416 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 9
19 March 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:

Somebody here mentioned a program that would synch up two text files but I can't find it anywhere.

The program I use is LF Aligner
As any program, it needs checking of the results. Its primary use is by translators (me included), but of course it will align a book for you :)

For other platforms, look for anything based on "hunalign" - this is the underlying code under LF aligner.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version