Groupie
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 3
08 October 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
So, having long since fallen off my previous log of the romance languages (FR ES IT) and Russian, I am starting a
new log with the same romance languages, and trading out Russian for Swedish and Hungarian. Also, as I am
unemployed, I'm trying to study Swedish and Hungarian using as many free materials as possible, hence the
"free" in the title.

My goals - improve romance language skills as much as possible, towards a C2 level and beyond (in all skills).

For Swedish and Hungarian, I just want to work towards a A1-A2 level by the end of the year. I am setting low
expectations, to be able to balance working on the romance languages and these newcomers. Especially for
Hungarian, as my only plans for it are to eventually understand movies and travel in Hungary. I am learning
Swedish because I want to ultimately live in Sweden.

Hour log as of today:
Français - 2 hours
Español - 30 minutes
Italiano - 45 minutes
Svenska - 1 hour
Magyar - 30 minutes

Aujourd'hui je me suis concentré sur le français - j'ai étudié quelques expressions d'abord, avec about.com et un
autre site web. Après, j'ai lu les premières pages d'un livre sur l'écriture, 'Guide du savoir-écrire' de Jean-Paul
Simard. Finalement, j'ai commencé la lecture du 'Retour de l'enfant prodigue' d'André Gide. J'ai écrit le nouveau
vocabulaire et les expressions dans mon carnet avec le but de les mémoriser.

Plus tard aujourd'hui j'étudierai l'espagnol et le hongrois. Mon plan d'étude, c'est cibler la langue avec laquelle j'ai
travaillé le moins - donc si j'ai le temps, j'étudierai l'italien aussi. J'essayerai de regarder souvent (2-3 fois la
semaine) des films dans ces langues pour m'habituer à les écouter.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 

Message 2 of 3
10 October 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Hola a todos, espero que estáis bien. Ayer, después de estudiar francés, leí la caricatura Mafalda durante una
hora, notando vocabulario y buscando las palabras cuando no tenía ni idea de que decían los personajes. A mi
me fascina esta caricatura argentina, que se trata de una chiquita que sabe mucho de la política y tiene amigos
con caracteres bien exagerados.

A parte de esta practica, hablé con mi española en español y en francés, y un poco en inglés (hacemos un
intercambio). Hoy, mientras que hacía ejercicios al gimnasio, escuché algunos podcasts de sueco para
principiantes. También escuché algunas canciones en Italiano cuando estaba allí.

Entonces, hoy, he estudiado al total-
francés - 2h30m
español - 2h
italiano - 1h
sueco - 1h30m
húngaro - 30m

Tengo que estudiar húngaro esta noche, y luego Italiano. Gracias de haber leído mi diario, y gracias por sus
sugerencias y ideas. Si sabe usted un buen curso de húngaro o sueco, ¡que me hable de ello!

Edited by Alanjazz on 10 October 2012 at 2:09am

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 

Message 3 of 3
15 October 2012 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Hi again everyone, it has been a little while and so I am here to update my log!
Hour totals so far for October:

French - 6.5 hours
Spanish - 3.5 hours
Italian - 3 hours
Swedish - 3 hours
Hungarian - 1.75 hours

What have I been doing?

In French, I have been reading "Le retour de l'enfant prodigue," by André Gide, and also listening to "Le masque
et le plume: théâtre" a French radio program that offers critiques and commentaries on various works of art -
primarily movies, books, and plays. I have also listened a little bit to "Cultivate your French" with the charming
podcaster Laetitia, and been speaking to my girlfriend in French on Skype. I also just watched a short
documentary on global agricultural justice issues in French.

In Spanish, I have been reading the cartoon Mafalda quite a bit, and looking up definitions to new words, and
often writing them down. I have been talking to my girlfriend in Spanish on Skype. Beyond that, I have chatted
with Spanish-speaking friends on Facebook, listened to the Notes in Spanish Gold podcasts, and listened to
Spanish-language music.

In Italian, I have watched a film called "Agata e la tempesta," which is about a woman in her thirties who gets
romatically involved with a younger man, and how her brother discovers that his parents are not who he thought
they were. It's a cast piece, and overall, alright. I wrote down turns of phrase and new vocabulary words as I
watched it. Other than that, I haven't done much.

In Swedish, I have been extensively listening to the Swedishpod101 absolute beginner podcasts. The quality is
so-so, but they are just fun enough that I keep coming back to them for repeat listens. I started a basic online
course that is monolingual Swedish for foreigners but haven't advanced very far with it. I am looking for a free
online course that has clickable audio files that don't open to a new page, and lessons that are slightly shorter
than those I have been finding. I am realizing that as I study new languages, my preference for learning materials
is clearer to me but my learning style remains unclear to me - what is it that makes words, grammar or
expressions stick? I still don't know.

In Hungarian, I have mostly played around with the Lonely Planet phrasebook, memorizing silly things like "you
are a small cat" (Te vagy kicsi macska) in order to talk to my sister's kitten, and trying to memorize random
words and short phrases that are useful - is there a bathroom, etc. I am going through bursts of being really
excited about Hungarian but also intimidated - it's just so much easier to pick up Swedish, or play with one of
the romance languages. I'm sure if I stick with it, though, it will become a little less intimidating.

Edited by Alanjazz on 15 October 2012 at 5:42am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version