seldnar
United States
Joined 6943 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 1 of 1
09 October 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
My second week was a bust. It started out fine but for the first time since I've had
it, I misplaced my iPod and lost and day and a half. After that, it seemed impossible
to catch up. I'm beginning my second week over again starting today.

I'm rather fascinated by the way grammar is introduced. It does seem to be an
assimilation method except...The first dialog describes Yorgos and Maria as being
sympathique or not. So, masculine and feminine endings are introduced as the names are
preceded by articles and modified by συμπαθιτικοσ or συμπαθιτικη. The next to last
entry introduces the neuter. By going through the dialog, the observant student might
begin to see patterns (e.g., that the word ending for the adjective describing Yorgos,
a man, is different from that for Maria).

The odd thing and this is where the assimilation method breaks down is that the last
line of the dialog is a capsule of grammar (and essential vocabulary). Here's the last
line of dialog 1: Ναι, οχι, ειναι, ο, η, το, σyμπαθιτικοσ, συμπαθιτικη, συμπαθιτικο.
(Sorry there are no diacritics, I haven't figured out how to type them yet). In other
words the line is: Yes, no, (3rd p sing) be, masculine article, feminine article,
neuter article, then the masculine, feminine and neuter forms of an ajective. The last
line in dialog two is simply the conjugation of ειναι (to be).

So it seems that it gives you enough material to formulate rules on your own (in lesson
2 for example it introduces in conversation all of the forms of ειναι) but then
concludes the dialog by recapping just those forms in case you didn't figure it out. I
don't remember seeing this in the German With Ease. I wonder if other Assimil courses
do it--that's a good question: how much uniformity is there between courses or is the
design of each course up to the writer. In other words, I guess, what are the
guidelines that the author is given.

That's about it. I'm restarting week two and will update after I've finished it.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version