The-teacher
Canada
Joined 4281 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Studies: English*

Message 1 of 4
10 October 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can answer this question

In the next month ill be finishing new french with ease and was wondering if it would be beneficial
To move onto using french or just start working with fsi french as I hear that will be a long haul to
the finish line.

I'm also currently in a first year university french course and I've completed Michel Thomas basic set - 8 CDs.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 4
10 October 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
It depends :)
As you've done MT and are taking formal classes, your grammar should be reasonably good so it might be better to go for the vocabulary and idioms in Assimil. FSI is available for free though, so you can use it selectively as needed, to drill specific grammar points.

That said, especially past the beginner level what matters more are not the resources but the techniques you use.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
10 October 2012 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
FSI is a super long haul - I found it's best to use it intermingled with other courses.
As in, I'll do FSI until I hit a wall, then move on to another course, any other course,
then come back to FSI and push on a bit further.

Each FSI lesson, at least for French, is designed to be part of a 30 to 40 hour study
week (class time plus homework plus the drills).   It's kind of hard to put that much
time into just doing the drills that are online, and so it's very easy to get ahead of
the plan.

The-teacher
Canada
Joined 4281 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Studies: English*

Message 4 of 4
10 October 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate the input guys - I should also note the french course is introductory as I want to build a solid base
going forward and I think these courses will ensure that with my self studying will continue to build and round
out my knowledge

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version