bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 29
11 October 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
chenshujian wrote:
In reality, is it necessary that a linguist(meaning a researcher, a scientist in languages) should be a polyglot?

Absolutely not.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 29
11 October 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
But it is often the case.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 29
11 October 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
chenshujian wrote:
In reality, is it necessary that a linguist(meaning a researcher, a scientist in languages) should be a polyglot?

Most linguists would say no. A few might add something snarky, such as:

Quote:
"Asking a linguist (language scientist) how many languages he speaks is like asking a doctor how many diseases she has." —Lynne Murphy

The linguist Mark Lieberman has a more reasonable discussion of this quote, and the overall issue.

Personally, I'm an incompetent amateur in linguistics, and I occasionally read linguistics papers for fun. And the more papers I read, the more I'm convinced that the world needs a few more polyglot linguists.

Let me give you three examples:

Papers on the grammar of spoken French, written in English. Spoken French is a rather unusual Indo-European language, because it has hints of a topic/comment or comment/anti-topic structure. Because French is relatively accessible (and prestigious) for English speakers, there's a whole cottage industry of linguists who write papers about spoken French.

Some of these papers are fascinating, but others feel "off"—the authors overlook really common counterexamples, or act confused over special cases when there's an elegant generalization lurking just around the corner. I argue that some of these papers would be better if their authors had a wider knowledge of French.

Government and binding theory. I've recently been reading introductions to Chomsky's government and binding theory. Now, government and binding is part of the whole "universal grammar" program, and it's intended to describe all possible human languages.

But in practice, there are some really baroque and overcomplicated parts of the theory that focus on relatively minor details of English syntax. And when I look at papers applying government and binding to other languages, it can be a very awkward fit. Again, I feel like these theories would be better if more of the researchers spoke another language at a very high level.

Second language acquisition papers. Some of this research has clearly been done by people who've never learned a second language, or by people who care about language acquisition insofar as it supports their larger theoretical program.

I want to be fair here: My claims are based on an amateur's intuition. Maybe all these papers and theories are perfectly fine. But the more I read, the more that I feel particular linguists are just missing the point. (Of course, I'm sure that many linguists feel the same way about certain colleagues. Academia is like that.)

Edited by emk on 11 October 2012 at 6:08pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6298 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 29
11 October 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I was bored, so I went and did some googling on the Linguistics Profession. Can anyone comment on the following?

1. If you don't go to MIT, or if your department does not have MIT professors, then stay out of Linguistics if you want to make a career out of it.

2. It is one of the few sciences that doesn't require the Calc sequence or programming classes. I don't think that students will get very far by just doing the Major's requirements. I suppose these guys will go off to babysit at Korean ESL schools for 40K/year?

Then again, every now and then I hear about English or Philosophy Majors getting hired for programming/management jobs and do fine. Go figure.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 13 of 29
11 October 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
I was bored, so I went and did some googling on the Linguistics
Profession. Can anyone comment on the following?

1. If you don't go to MIT, or if your department does not have MIT professors, then
stay out of Linguistics if you want to make a career out of it.

2. It is one of the few sciences that doesn't require the Calc sequence or programming
classes. I don't think that students will get very far by just doing the Major's
requirements. I suppose these guys will go off to babysit at Korean ESL schools for
40K/year?

Linguistics is a huge area with many sub-fields. It's not all scientific, either. For
example, if you get a Master's in Applied Linguistics (which, in turn, is huge in and
of itself with many specialties), it'll be of the MA variety, not MS.

R.
==

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 14 of 29
11 October 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
1. If you don't go to MIT, or if your department does not have MIT professors, then stay out of Linguistics if you want to make a career out of it.

100% of Linguistics professors who don't work at MIT work in other institutions.

Kugel wrote:
2. It is one of the few sciences that doesn't require the Calc sequence or programming classes. I don't think that students will get very far by just doing the Major's requirements. I suppose these guys will go off to babysit at Korean ESL schools for 40K/year?

What you do with any degree is up to you, your determination, passion, ability, etc. With a Linguistics Honours degree, I was a teacher, a translator, an interpreter, a course designer... I work with languages, I love it, and I can't really see myself doing anything else. And I do much better than the babysitter you mention.
5 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 29
11 October 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
If we change the doctor quote to something like:

Quote:

"Asking a linguist (language scientist) how many languages he speaks is like asking a doctor how many diseases she has studied"

...is that slightly better?

Of course a linguist could make a detailed study of a language without actually being able to speak or understand much of it, so perhaps the cases are still not really on all fours.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 29
12 October 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
It is one of the few sciences that doesn't require the Calc sequence or programming classes.
Applied linguistics (and in Russia that's not the same as SLA) require this.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version