Canada
Joined 5032 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 25 of 29
15 October 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
What you do with any degree is up to you, your determination, passion, ability, etc. With a Linguistics Honours degree, I was a teacher, a translator, an interpreter, a course designer... I work with languages, I love it, and I can't really see myself doing anything else. And I do much better than the babysitter you mention.

A bit off-topic, but one thing I've wanted to ask you about for a while: Where English and French are concerned, are you one of those fortunate natural bilinguals? That is, someone who grew up surrounded by both languages, learning them as a native speaker, without any conscious effort? From what I've heard, this seems to be fairly common in Montreal, for example.

Not that I doubt your language learning abilities -- your success with Japanese alone establishes that -- but I wonder when I see how good your English is. (And in comparison, how inept my French is.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 26 of 29
15 October 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
palfrey wrote:
A bit off-topic, but one thing I've wanted to ask you about for a while: Where English and French are concerned, are you one of those fortunate natural bilinguals? That is, someone who grew up surrounded by both languages, learning them as a native speaker, without any conscious effort? From what I've heard, this seems to be fairly common in Montreal, for example.

No. I grew up in Sorel, close to Trois-Rivières, in a linguistic environment that was very monolithically French (98.5% of the population has French as a first language) and where English was never heard. My parents don't really speak English, although my dad sort of gets by. It wasn’t until I moved to Montréal at 18 that I first had access to English speakers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5032 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 

Message 27 of 29
15 October 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Well! To be honest, that wasn't the answer I had expected :) I thought for sure you must have grown up with English alongside French. That's very impressive.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 28 of 29
16 October 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
palfrey wrote:
Well! To be honest, that wasn't the answer I had expected :) I thought
for sure you must have grown up with English alongside French. That's very impressive.

Out of curiosity, where have you heard me speak?

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5032 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 

Message 29 of 29
16 October 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
My view of your English was based purely on your writing. I had never heard your voice. But since you ask, I poked around on the web and found the piece on hyperployglots produced by "16x9 - The Bigger Picture" a few months ago:

http://www.globalnews.ca/video/word+play/video.html?v=223130 9265#video
    http://www.mezzoguild.com/2012/05/06/hyperpolyglots-on-16x9- the-bigger-picture/

You speak English only briefly, but what was said sounded native to me.

Edited by palfrey on 16 October 2012 at 6:37pm

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version