Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5212 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 9 of 13
13 October 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Going into your semester abroad I'd definitely look into classes if they help you with
writing and learning how to work the general educational system. When I went abroad
they did nothing for us apart from grammar classes, spent the whole semester with no
assignments and no guidance to make sure we were keeping up properly (there was no
syllabus with assigned reading broken down week by week) and then faced down an in-
class essay for our final at the end which would constitute our entire grade for the
class. Of those who opted for direct immersion in the university system with natives,
even the best students escaped with average grades at best (those who remained in
French as a foriegn language programs had it much easier).

Unrelated to academics, it was a combination of immersion and study which brought my
level up. By the second semester (I was there for the year) I felt like I hadn't made
the progress I was hoping to make and started studying intensively which is when I
discovered this forum. Nothing works like immersion for cementing the language in your
brain and making it flow naturally but studying definitely helps move the process along
and helps keep you from stagnating.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 13
13 October 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
What's a WWOOF?

FWIW, I'd definitely take the course if I had that opportunity (especially if it were free, or cheap, or subsidised! :) ).

One can immerse in one's spare time, hopefully.

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
13 October 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
What's a WWOOF?

Willing Workers on Organic Farms, I presume. Some of the farmers near where I live participate. It looks like a pretty cool program if you want to learn about organic farming.

As an immersion program, it could be anything from excellent to almost useless. Will you be working under the close supervision of a monolingual French speaker, talking with the family every evening, and meeting new people in town? Or will you spend all your time harvesting vegetables with two other English speakers?

As usual, it all comes down to actual situation and what you make of it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4713 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 13
13 October 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
montmorency wrote:
What's a WWOOF?

Willing Workers on Organic Farms, I presume. Some of the farmers near where I live participate. It looks like a pretty cool program if you want to learn about organic farming.

As an immersion program, it could be anything from excellent to almost useless. Will you be working under the close supervision of a monolingual French speaker, talking with the family every evening, and meeting new people in town? Or will you spend all your time harvesting vegetables with two other English speakers?

As usual, it all comes down to actual situation and what you make of it.

Indeed, I certainly realize I need to be careful with the circumstances.

I kind of mentioned WWOOF just as a placeholder where I really mean "some sort of way to live in Germany very cheaply while also having great immersion opportunities"

For a broader range of opportunities, i.e. not just organic farming, this site looks nifty:

http://www.helpx.net/

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6418 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 13
17 November 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
That said, definitely investigate the class beforehand. If it says something like, "5 hours per day of intensive French, plus homework, plus a homestay in a monolingual environment" then that's very promising indeed.
Late post is late, but I wouldn't say this looks promising. 5h+homework is way too much for when you're in the country of your target language. Most of this will be something you can totally learn on your own, because obviously 5h per day will not involve more than 2h of speaking if even that.

You may also want to look for classes IN German, maybe something aimed at immigrants etc. This should be a great way to get more opportunities to practise.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version