Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 9 of 15
15 October 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Even if work interests are a factor for you, I don't see why that would dissuade you from learning smaller languages. Sure, there are a lot more job opportunities for Portuguese than, say, Latvian, but there's a lot more competition for those jobs too. If Latvian is your thing and you go on to learn it well, you then have a rare skill to offer which will be very highly valued by those people seeking it.

Edited by Levi on 15 October 2012 at 6:41pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 15
15 October 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
If Latvian is your thing and you go on to learn it well, you then have a
rare skill to offer which will be very highly valued by those people seeking it.

This is true, but there needs to be more than just economic interest for a person to
learn the language well, which is what most people are saying here in the thread.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 11 of 15
15 October 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm pointing out that the economic viability of a language isn't nearly as relevant an issue as it may seem, due to the inverse relationship between the number of job opportunities out there and the value your abilities provide to an employer seeking someone who speaks your target language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JMS
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4238 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, French

Message 12 of 15
26 October 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I completely understand what you're saying Levi...you can learn a widely spoken language and there will obviously be demand for you but if you learn an unusual language, you will still be sought after because there aren't many speakers of that language!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread..I know there's a lot of threads like this but it's so interesting for me to see everyone's feedback. I've decided to try and learn as much Korean as possible while I'm here in Korean and also try and self teach French and Italian. I'll probably end up dropping one but my reasoning is it would be a shame not to try and learn Korean while I'm in Korea and after learning Spanish and German, I shouldn't find Italian and French too hard... :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jt00
United States
Joined 4326 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, French

Message 13 of 15
29 October 2012 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
I know everyone else has said you shouldn't choose a language for its economic benefits, so I won't say anything more about it.
Personally, I have picked up Russian fairly well, but I cannot learn the keyboard layout sufficiently until I know more of the language. If you can master your language's keyboard layout, the internet will give you a whole new world of opportunities to use it.
As a (somewhat biased toward my experience) recommendation, I would say Latin, not only because it will make other Romance languages easier to learn, but also because it helps you understand words you don't know at first, plus you can read Cicero and Caesar, as well as many other writers. Latin was also used by many medieval writers, and you will be able to understand most writing in French, Spanish, Portuguese, or other languages derived from it. The language has a lot of resources for learners, and it sounds beautiful once you learn it to a level of even basic fluency.
However, if you are set on the languages you are narrowed down to, I would say Russian. Good luck in whatever you choose!

ljones29
Triglot
United States
Joined 4608 days ago

35 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Arabic (Written), Greek

Message 14 of 15
29 October 2012 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
I vote for Italian, French, or Russian. In that order.

erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7007 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 15
30 October 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Although it wasn't mentioned, how about Japanese - I think everyone scrambles for Chinese as "THE" Asian language, but there will always be that influence from Japan. Not only that, they have a beautiful culture.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version