Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5642 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 18
14 October 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
As mentioned in my previous in my previous threads, I only have a vocabulary of 9200
for English, as indicated in this thread almost one year ago: any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29732&PN=1">link. To make matters worse
orthography is always a pain for me.

Chinese which is my mother tongue is also, unfortunately, having a low vocabulary.
Although I have not official tested my Chinese vocabulary, but there are some
indicators:

1.     I did Chinese vocabulary exercises from a book from China targeted at secondary
school children. I only can recognise 70 percent of the words and set phrases in the
book and get only 40 percent correct for the exercises, which is a very poor result for
an educated “native speaker”.

2.     I cannot read technical books (science, technology, banking, economics etc.) in
Chinese without frequently referring to a dictionary. My co-workers from China, on the
other hand, have no problem with them, despite the fact that they now use more English
than Chinese in their daily work.

3.     It is difficult for me to enjoy literature works in Chinese whether they are
classical or modern. There are often new words which I don’t know or I interpret the
meaning incorrectly.

The reason why I am bringing up this issue of mine nearly one year later and started a
new thread is that I have hit a brick wall for my advance French studies. I have
decided to make progress in French after a break of 6 months and hope to obtain a DELF
certificate (B2/C1) next year. Hence, I have started to listen to French radio, read
French articles( both factual and literature) and try to translate some random articles
to French. However, my small vocabulary in my “native languages” has caused unexpected
hindrance to my progress.

When I am doing L-R or reading a bilingual book (French or other languages with
English), I realised that very often, I can make no sense of some words in none of the
language! I will then look up in a French/English or French/Chinese dictionary for more
information and I do not know neither the English nor the Chinese equivalent. In the
end I search the equivalent in a monolingual English or Chinese dictionary to explain
what the word or phrase actually means. Translating a text to L2 is definitely a big
problem, since I sometimes have no idea or unsure what an uncommonly used word in my L1
(English/Chinese) actually means.

These problems I am facing now has indicated one important thing: I need a true native
language which have a vocabulary of at least 20000 words, with the ability to
understand and produce various forms of register and discuss various topics from
science to music. It is only then, I can read, write and understand every topic
produced in the language without not being seen as uneducated. It is a shame that I
have no native language despite my love for languages!

I have identified the languages which I considered to become my proper native language.
Each language is characterised by the advantages, disadvantages, my opinions and my
reasons of the opinions.

English: I have to use it everyday in my work and life. Furthermore, I am comfortable
with the vocabulary in many different topics (science, engineering, banking, economics,
sociology, mathematics etc.) already. So it seems to be an obvious choice to be L1.
However, I hate English literature, no thanks to the teachers, who called my homework a
pile of sh’it and offered no help to improve my English. Furthermore, the girl who
rejected me in my university days is also a English literature graduate. The relations
ended so bad that I considered myself to lose to these jerks if I ever started to study
English literature. Another point that make English unattractive to me is the music. I
never like any English songs even though I can hear them everyday.

Chinese: I can already understand conversations, write pretty well, speak fluently and
it is my heritage language. However, to expand my vocabulary in various topics and
match up the commonly used vocabulary known to an educated person in China requires
immersion in China for quite some time. This is something I have not intended to do, as
it does not fit very well with my life plans. Furthermore, I need to learn classical
Chinese in order to appreciate ancient poetry, works and novels fluently. This adds
more work to the already difficult task.

French/German/ Spanish: these are my first foreign languages and I was guided very well
by my professors and the advices from this forum. The specific vocabularies are not
difficult as they are similar to their English counterparts. The literature is
enjoyable as my French/German professor introduced them in an interactive and fun way
that I still feel like picking up French/German literature if time permits. This a
stark contrast from the experience with English literature teachers. On the other hand,
my listening has also improved significantly, and I can understand 70-80% of French
radio and 50-60% of German radio. For Spanish, I have studied for a short period of
time, quitting it as it interfered with my French. Now that, I am now comfortable with
French, I have started to gather Spanish materials and do passive reading. The transfer
is easy and I need to focus on the oral aspects. Materials in the advance level for
these three languages are plentiful and cover a lot of aspects from literature to
computer science.

Russian: It is the language that attracted me the most. For unexplained reason, I
always loved any Russian things since 5 years old, even though I only got to visit the
country 3 years ago. Despite all the difficulties of the language, I enjoy the entire
learning progress. I am definitely thinking of working, living and even migrating to
Russia in my life plans. Unfortunately, I still have a long way to go: I need to
improve my accent, expand my vocabulary and improve my listening which requires some
form of immersion. However, the literature fascinates me: my interest in literature,
which is killed by English literature teachers, is resurrected in Russian. For this
reason, I am willing to spent time on the rare vocabulary used in literature and still
stay focus. It is also why I enjoyed Russian songs even though I have problems in
understanding them. Like French, Russian advance level materials are plentiful and
cover wide aspects. With these in places, Russian is an attractive choice to me to
become my native language.   

Japanese: While it is simpler for me (as I know Chinese), I really do not have much
motivation to study except for meeting girls. There are some aspects of Japanese
culture which I do not like and they actually hinder my progress, even though like
French, materials are plentiful in various subjects. But I might considered it to
become my native language, if I can stay in a relation with a Japanese girl long
enough.

After all the description and explanations on the various languages, I would like to
hear the opinion from the forum members. Which language should become my true native
language and how I shall proceed on? Please keep in mind that I have a big learning
involving the Slavic languages and I might add more languages in the future due to work
(Hebrew and Thai especially).

Thank you!

Edited by QiuJP on 14 October 2012 at 6:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5747 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 18
14 October 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:

However, I hate English literature, no thanks to the teachers, who called my homework a
pile of sh’it and offered no help to improve my English. Furthermore, the girl who
rejected me in my university days is also a English literature graduate. The relations
ended so bad that I considered myself to lose to these jerks if I ever started to study
English literature.

If I were you, I would feel like the teachers and the girl who dumped me were winning
and still wiping my face in the dirt if they were spoiling one of the great literatures
of the world for me and negatively influencing my language skills. I'm reminded of
something the German literary critic Marcel Reich-Ranicki once said about how the Nazis
took away so much from him, but he wasn't going to let them take German literature away
from him too.

ETA: spelling

Edited by lichtrausch on 15 October 2012 at 1:53am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 18
14 October 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it's very realistic to develop anything but Mandarin or English into your true native language...

You do realize that you don't have to *study* English literature to gain more vocab? You can simply read books in English. They can be American or even translated. You also don't need songs for improving your skills.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 18
14 October 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I made that link clickable:
Disappointed about English vocab test

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4804 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 18
15 October 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I stop reading your post half-way (long week-end makes me tired) - sorry.

If you want to master language in areas like biology, astronomy, economy or what else - you should learn these specific areas - not only learn their language. For example you could understand the words black and hole - but this will not tell you what a black hole is in astronomy. You could understand the words price, earnings and ratio - but you will not know exactly what a price earnings ratio is.
-

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5642 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 6 of 18
15 October 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I don't think it's very realistic to develop anything but Mandarin
or English into your true native language...

You do realize that you don't have to *study* English literature to gain more vocab?
You can simply read books in English. They can be American or even translated. You also
don't need songs for improving your skills.

While I can understand what you are coming from, I just will not have the will to read
things in English unless I need the information quickly or I cannot find any quality
equivalent in other languages. I can always find a copy of Leo Trotsky's Anna Karenina
in English, but I always feel that the time that will be spend can be of better use. On
the other hand, I can spend hours, even days to read the constitution of Russian
Federation in the Russian language, even though I am not a lawyer and the language used
in the document is really tough. My desire to read almost anything in French or Russian
is way stronger than my will to start reading things in English or Chinese.

Of course, the way I am doing things is not very effective. Many vocabulary terms are
not retained properly, except for those that are repeated frequently. However, I do
admit that I remember the grammar rules very well, as the patterns are replied all over
again in the documents.

Given this, you will understand my struggle: to improve things that I am pretty good at
but unmotivated/discouraged or to spend lots of time on things that are difficult, but
motivate me or satisfies me a lot.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5642 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 7 of 18
15 October 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
I stop reading your post half-way (long week-end makes me tired) -
sorry.

If you want to master language in areas like biology, astronomy, economy or what else -
you should learn these specific areas - not only learn their language. For example you
could understand the words black and hole - but this will not tell you what a black
hole is in astronomy. You could understand the words price, earnings and ratio - but
you will not know exactly what a price earnings ratio is.
-

Frankly speaking, I spent more time reading more non-friction on various topics and I
have not even scratch the surface of the vocabulary used in my specialization! The main
issue is that I have learn the vocabulary of different areas in two different
languages. As a result, I do not have a "full" vocabulary in any language that can
express freely on what I know in mind. This has made me unable to produce a proper
conversation without constant code switching which irritates my listener and me look
uneducated. I want to get out of this situation as soon as possible.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4444 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 18
15 October 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
The only way to acquire a "full vocabulary" is to learn again what you already know.

For practical purposes, I would go with English. It is usually easier to find materials in English than in any other language.

What is needed:
- every new subject should be learned in English (or your would-be native language)
- read one tabloid and one serious newspaper in English
- listen to news in English
- read English textbooks, self-help books or articles in subject you know in the "other" language
- find encyclopedias, travel books etc. in English
- watch sports with English commentary
- ideally, watch politic debates in English
- find native speakers and interact with them. It may be in a pub, in a club, wherever... Even sitting there and listening helps. But best is to find simply new friends speaking only English.

You will still miss a whole lot. Native speakers have learned certain nursery rhymes, fairy tales, children and teen stories, are watching certain films and shows. You are missing this and it isn't usually worth to take time to "study".

The problem is that you can function without true native language, but it is disadvantage in a long run. You need to commit and put your other languages on hold.

Decide if you really want to make such commitment and then stick with it.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version