SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 18
16 October 2012 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP, I don't want to discourage you, but it's not that uncommon to achieve "decent fluency" if you expose yourself to massive amounts of the target language, are eager to improve, have plenty of opportunities to use the language in speech and writing and so on. Just like many people around the world are doing with their major second language. However, the step from "decent fluency" to "a new native language" is gigantic, and very unlikely to happen unless... well, you somehow "forget" your native language. Or maybe if the second language is particularly weak - but it doesn't seem that your English is.

It won't happen for me - I started learning English as a nine-year old kid back in the early 1980s, I've been surrounded by the language through popular media and anglophone music at home, I've watched movies in the original language (with Swedish subtitles). I can "think" in English. I read and write more in English than my native Swedish, every day of the year for over a decade now. I speak English with foreigners nearly every day at work. This being said, I'm more comfortable with my native Swedish in every situation, and even thinking that another language would somehow take this place (=English) is so unrealistic, since that language would have to compete with a nearly infinite number of hours of audio input, plenty of cultural similarities and what not. I even find it unlikely that some other language would surpass my German or Spanish (neither of which I've spent that many hours on).

Good luck!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 18
17 October 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
QiuJP wrote:
Michel1020 wrote:
Am I the only one here to think there is something very wrong with
QiuJP ?

Can please speak up your mind? I have Aspegers' and I cannot understand your intention in
writing this post, which is out of point.

My reply to this question has been deleted (this by the way makes the reply to my reply quite strange for people who would read the thread now or in the future).

I am suspecting I was censured because the moderator read my post out of context. I sincerely think I shouldn't be the one censored here - QiuJP should.

(...)

Your reply was censored because of its content and style. And apparently that didn't help, because now I have to remove one more reply from you. End of discussion.

Edited by Iversen on 17 October 2012 at 4:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version