cheerbelle7
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4243 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine), French

Message 1 of 4
16 October 2012 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone. I am new to the site, although I've come across it before in my language studies/research. I just moved back to the US (after 7 years living in Lebanon). I'm not working yet and it dawned on me that I should use all this free time to work on my languages.

The first thing I am tackling is perfecting my French. I started learning French when I was 10 (I'm 28 now) and was fluent by the time I was 17/18. However, after focusing Arabic for the following ten years and living in the Middle East, my French has kind of fallen by the wayside. My conversational skills are still actually quite good, but I'm no longer able to understand television/movies at the level I was able to before. Also, I'm quite sure my reading and writing skills need some work.

For years, I've been lamenting the decline of my French but this move has given the spark I needed to start studying again. Since I am actively applying for jobs, I know that my time will be limited so I am trying to review and progress as much as I can as quickly as I can. I'm trying to attack this on all fronts, so I'm using a variety of mediums and materials. For textbooks/tapes, my plan is to to do a quick review of FSI French (24 lessons), use the Ultimate French Grammar as a supplement when needed. I'm also using other free time, like during lunch, to listen to watch films and TV or French music. I'm also attending meetups in my city whenever I can, usually about 1x per week. My goal is to knock this first phase by the end of October, so about 15 days which means I'm doing minimum 2 lessons per day (around 2-3 hours).

Following this, I want to start working with the Assimil Using French program. I will also still be doing the music, movies and meetups. The purpose is two-fold: 1) to fill in any gaps that I may still have, and 2) to get used to the Assimil format. Because my goal at the end of the Assimil French is to start learning Spanish through French and I want to use the Assimil program to do this. I've already signed up for the Assimil challenge starting in November, so I need to "finish" with the intensive part of my French study by mid-month.

I'm going to use this log to track my progress and stay accountable so I will update at the end of each week. I'd be happy to hear any feedback from fellow language learners in a similar situations and what your experiences and methods were.

Happy language learning!

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4455 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 4
16 October 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
You didn't get to use French in Lebanon? Isn't French the second language there?

Anyway, good luck! Shouldn't be that hard to get back what you once had I imagine.

cheerbelle7
Triglot
Joined 4243 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes

Message 3 of 4
22 October 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Hey sillygoose. It is the second/third language of some Lebanese, but I wasn't really in a french-speaking environment most of my time there (mostly Arabic or English). Also, I wanted to focus on my Arabic so I didn't actively seek it out. Obviously, I wish I had done so more now. I don't think it should be so hard and the FSI drills are really helping me get back on track quickly.

As for my progress the past week. It was not as good as I had hoped. I had a death in the family and had to travel last minute, but I managed to put in a little bit of practice everyday. I finished through FSI lessons 1-5 and managed to watch a film (L'arnacoeur w/ Vanessa Paradis) w/o subtitles. My comprehension of the film was quite good. But I need to go through it a few more times before I feel more confident that I have grasped it perfectly.

I have a little bit of catching up to do this week. My goal is to finish through FSI lesson 10 and another film. The lessons take much more time that I thought, so I don't think I will be able to make it through more than 5-6 per week. I'm going through a list of a few films/TV episodes without the subtitles so I don't get bored watching and analyzing the same thing over and over again - I get enough of that with FSI :)

Edited by cheerbelle7 on 23 October 2012 at 10:05pm

cheerbelle7
Triglot
Joined 4243 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes

Message 4 of 4
30 October 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
To help me more with my French writing/typing, I have decided to put my daily journal on lang-8. Thanks for those who checked my posts. I will still be working hard. Feel free to message me with any questions about my studies or French in general.

Cheers.

Edited by cheerbelle7 on 30 October 2012 at 4:26pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version