Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 3
16 October 2012 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu has written a book on the Quebec variety of French, "Le québécois en 10 leçons". He's kindly made the first chapter available, as well as the recordings for the first chapter. I tried it yesterday, and was impressed.

Disclaimer: I've talked to Arekkusu a few times, he's helped me with pronunciation, and I generally think highly of him, but I have no ties to the book.

The first lesson contains a short scenario, set in the refreshing atmosphere of a space station. It's full of regional words, phrases, and grammar - and the passage in Quebec French is fully recorded. This is then broken down, with a glossary of words and phrases, as well as an interlinear translation into standard French. Following this, there are cloze exercises, translating sentences from standard French, and a few exercises in recognizing which of several sentences was actually said in a recording.

While my French is at best intermediate, and I rarely particularly enjoy similarly-structured books, I have to highly recommend this one to anyone with even the slightest interest in this variety of French. The content is fresh, the density of new material is high, it's extremely well-structured, and the glossary of words and their example uses is recorded. While I made plenty of mistakes in the exercises, I usually grasped the main point and got them partially correct, and they struck me as well-designed and carefully thought out.

Initially, I could understand very little of the recording. After going through the lesson a few times (happily, it remained engaging), I could understand a fair percentage of the recorded audio fairly easily. Most of the vocabulary introduced seems to have stuck as well.

This book is the best introduction to a regional variation of a large language that I have seen.

Edited by Volte on 16 October 2012 at 6:03pm

14 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 3
13 November 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for this review, Volte.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 3
23 September 2013 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
The book is now available on Lulu in PDF format at a lower cost than the paper version, for anyone
interested.

Le québécois en 10 leçons -
PDF

Edited by Arekkusu on 23 September 2013 at 3:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version